Roast Turkey

Vernon Ewing

TVWBB Member
We have a 16# turkey I want to roast on my WSM. Not smoked! My wife says it would be smoked and the gravy would taste smokey. She also said that it wouldn't make good soup.
What I'm planning is 2 chimneys of fully lit briquettes. Dry water pan and the turkey on a rack in a roster. Cook it breast down for the first hour then flipped over for the rest of the cook. I'm figuring about 4 hours total.
How can I assure my wife that it won't come out smokey? In the pan I'll add the giblets and neck with 2 cups of water.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vernon Ewing:

How can I assure my wife that it won't come out smokey? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tell her because honey I'm not using any wood for smoke flavor. You will pick up a nice flavor from the charcoal but it won't be a smokey taste.
icon_smile.gif
On a side note, I'll bet at least a 100 people here would tell you that smoked turkey makes awsome soup and gravy.
icon_wink.gif

Vernon,

I would cook it without any wood and tell her it will not be smokey. However, tell her you want to do another turkey soon (maybe smaller) and add a bit of smoke. I'll bet she loves it. And the smoked turkey makes fantastic soups and gravies.

I even make smoked turkey broths that I freeze to use in soups later.

Try it!

ray

Back