Rich's "Nearly-politan" Pizza Dough

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
This seems like the right place for this one?

Anyway, I've posted my pizza dough formula a bunch of times in various places, but never here in the recipes forums. So, here's my version of pizza dough......

Formula for 1x280g dough ball. This should give you an 11-12" pizza depending on how thin you get the dough when you open it. The 00 flour REALLY makes this dough super silky and easy to work with, so it's worth the effort to find it if you can.......

171g Flour (50/50 All Purpose, and 00 flours)
104g Water
4.8g Salt
3g Olive Oil
.25g ADY

Mix until all ingredients are incorporated into a rough dough, then let rest covered in mixing bowl for 20 minutes. Knead for 5-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, let rest in bowl @ room temp for 2 hours. Divide into 280g portions, form tight balls, place into oiled containers, cover and place into fridge. Keep it in the fridge for at least 12 hours, 24 is better, and you can keep it up to 48-72 hours. Remove from fridge 2-3 hours prior to intended cook time.

1650556434088.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Rich. How long does it hang out in the refrigerator? I mean what's the min time / max time.

Formula for 1x280g dough ball. This should give you an 11-12" pizza depending on how thin you get the dough when you open it. The 00 flour REALLY makes this dough super silky and easy to work with, so it's worth the effort to find it if you can.......

104g Water
4.8g Salt
3g Olive Oil
.25g ADY

?

How do you measure a quarter gram of ADY?
🤣

Well, I don't think I've ever made the dough for just one pizza, usually there's a minimum of two! Even so, weighed out .5g ADY and poured it in a 1/4 tsp, and it filled half of it. So, if we're doing .25g for just a single dough ball, then you're at 1/16 tsp. I think that probably qualifies as a small pinch? :)

R

104g Water
4.8g Salt
3g Olive Oil
.25g ADY

?
What's your question, Joan?

Rich,
Thanks for the recipe. Do you ever just use 00 flour?
Jeff, I haven't. The reason for that is that typically 00 flour for pizza will typically not brown up like more common flours as it's not malted. To get browning or leoparding, you'd need to cook 00 pizza dough at temps of 800-900°. The mix of AP and 00 provides some malted flour in the mix, which allows for browing to occur at the ~700'ish° temps that I am typically using for pizza. This is also why my pies cook for ~4-4.5 minutes, versus a true Neapolitan pie that will cook in 90-120 seconds at the much higher temps.

R

Jeff, I haven't. The reason for that is that typically 00 flour for pizza will typically not brown up like more common flours as it's not malted. To get browning or leoparding, you'd need to cook 00 pizza dough at temps of 800-900°. The mix of AP and 00 provides some malted flour in the mix, which allows for browing to occur at the ~700'ish° temps that I am typically using for pizza. This is also why my pies cook for ~4-4.5 minutes, versus a true Neapolitan pie that will cook in 90-120 seconds at the much higher temps.

R
Thanks for the reply. My oven is 550 max so I guess it won’t make any difference for me. I guess I’ll just stick with the King Arthur recipe.

R
yes and no.

00 is the milling. different 00 flours are for different heat applications/uses:

this is a great explainer: https://pizzeriaortica.com/caputo-00-flour/

hydration in the flour also plays a big part of how the flour cooks, temps needed and time to cook and final texture.

for browning on 00 Chefs flour, honey in the dough mixture will promote browning at the lower temps.

@Jeff Boudman, many USA pizza stores use KA due to cost, availability and it's a good product. you're not settling in using KA. Caputo flours are next level if you want to get down the home pizza rabbit hole. welcome to the hole should you choose to join some of us here. personally, I use red bag Caputo, Chef's Flour, around $3.50 pr 1k bag. Whole Foods usually carries it if you have one nearby and want to come down to the rabbit hole.

This seems like the right place for this one?

Anyway, I've posted my pizza dough formula a bunch of times in various places, but never here in the recipes forums. So, here's my version of pizza dough......

104g Water
4.8g Salt
3g Olive Oil
.25g ADY

Mix until all ingredients are incorporated into a rough dough, then let rest covered in mixing bowl for 20 minutes. Knead for 5-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, let rest in bowl @ room temp for 2 hours. Divide into 280g portions, form tight balls, place into oiled containers, cover and place into fridge. Keep it in the fridge for at least 12 hours, 24 is better, and you can keep it up to 48-72 hours. Remove from fridge 2-3 hours prior to intended cook time.

View attachment 49483
Rich,
If I use all 00 flour does the amount of water stay the same?
Thanks

Jeff, that's hard to say since it will depend on your particular 00 flour and how "thirsty" it is. It should be just fine the way I wrote it up, as it's relatively low hydration anyway. The only way to know for sure is to mix up a batch. You can adjust on the fly with more flour or water as needed, but I'd bet you'll be ok as is.

How's that for wishy washy? :)

R

Jeff, that's hard to say since it will depend on your particular 00 flour and how "thirsty" it is. It should be just fine the way I wrote it up, as it's relatively low hydration anyway. The only way to know for sure is to mix up a batch. You can adjust on the fly with more flour or water as needed, but I'd bet you'll be ok as is.

How's that for wishy washy? :)

R
Sounds good to me.

Back