Ribs - Testing for Doneness

Larry Perkins

When smoking ribs, I can't seem to consistantly tell when they are done. I cooked some yesterday, and took them off the WSM too late. They were sisnificantly overcooked. In the past, I have undercooked ribs, as well as overcooked them.

I am aware of (1) the toothpick test, (2) the "grab-two-bones-and-tear" test, (3) "end-of-bones-exposed 1/4" - 1/2"" method, and (4) have tried to measure the internal temperature with a Polder thermometer. I can't seem to consistantly tell when they are done using any of these methods. Are there any specific things I should be looking for when doing any of these tests? Can any of you rib pros out there give me any tips, additional techniques, or any kind of specific things to look for in testing the rib's doneness?

Your help will certainly be appreciated,
Larry Perkins

Hi Larry and welcome to the board.

I have finally tried ribs on WSM and am achieving results an order of magnitude better than on the grill. However, I still have not quite achieved the perfect doneness test. As far as your tests, measuring the temperature of such a thin peice of meat is probably not meaningful. I tend to use the end of bones exposed as a qualitative confirmation.

Mostly I deal in the toothpick test with the ends exposed confirmation as opposed to the tear test. I am still trying to build the experience database.

You seem to be well on your way to building your own experiential references. Hopefully others on this board can give you some tips that help you.

Larry, while I find the toothpick test most reliable, another way to check is to pick up the rack in the middle with tongs, meat side up. If they're done, they should bend without breaking. This may depend on whether you used spares or baby backs, how you trimmed them and if you removed the membrane. Good luck.

Back