Ribs - temps running high

Robert D

TVWBB Member
I am doing 3 racks of Baby Backs. The coals have been going for 2 hours. Temp is staying at 320 with water in the pan. Bottom vents are closed.

I have not put the meat on yet.

How do I get the temps down to 250?

For this cook, forget 250*. With all the vents shut and with water in the pan, there's not much you can do if it's MAINTAINING that temp. It's ok, though. Your temp will go down some after putting the ribs on, and babybacks can be cooked fast or slow, anyway. I prefer 275-300*, but some folks cook 'em even faster.

Check this out: http://www.virtualweberbullet....tempcontrol.html#hot

Close your top vent down until she's at your desired temp. You can also throw some ice in the water pan to speed it up. With water in the pan you can have her back down to where you need her in no time.

Next time start with less lit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Next time start with less lit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Larry. Maybe you had too many lit coals to begin with. Through experimentation I have found that 20 lit coals of blue K worked good for me. Results may vary of course but I think 20 is a good starting point if you're using briquettes.

thanks for the advice. I did get it down to about 270 which is fine. I used too much charcoal. Full ring and a full chimney.
It has been 3 hrs and I am ready to flip.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert D:
thanks for the advice. I did get it down to about 270 which is fine. I used too much charcoal. Full ring and a full chimney.
It has been 3 hrs and I am ready to flip. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As pointed out already, starting off with too many lit briqs can cause temps above the desired range. As long as you have adequate control of the amount of air to the fire, it shouldn't matter so much how much UNLIT charcoal is underneath the lit.

Back