Ribs, Ribs and More Ribs...

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Well, July 4th was too busy for me to do anything for myself other than some burgers, brats and hot dogs. I did a drop-off catering gig for 60 people and then I was traveling all over Indiana picking up my girls from their various summer jobs so they could be home this weekend, and then, we went to fireworks show last night. So, I decided to load up "Boss Hog' (my CG Smokin' Pro) with some BBs and Beef Ribs. Here is the first pic but there will be more to come... I just have to emphasize that the CG is a Rib-Cookin' machine!

Nice pic Tony. Could you post a pice of the whole smoker. Does your CG have the side firebox? I see them both ways. Keep the pics coming. What sides are you making?

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Nice pic Tony. Could you post a pice of the whole smoker. Does your CG have the side firebox? I see them both ways. Keep the pics coming. What sides are you making?

Yep, I have the side fire box...

I am also having some of my Kickin' Baked Beans, Tater Salad (fresh... out of the walmart fridge!
icon_biggrin.gif
) and some of my mom's homemade rolls.

Ok, they are all done now. I did them 3-1-1 and I put brown sugar and honey in foil with the BBs. I also did the beef ribs 3-1-1 and they surprisingly came out great! No sugar or honey in the beef foil though, just did them straight.

These came out dark because I had too much sugar in the rub. I am definitely going to fix that with some turbinado sugar or none at all. They be dark but they tastes really great. Oh, and the texture is perfect for competitions as well...

Tony, as always, your pictures do not disappoint! Just put three racks of spares on myself under a brisket. Got some ice cold beer going and some good tunes, looks like a good day!

Tony, good stuff as always.

About the CG, how does that hold temps compared to the WSM? Does it require much tending?

Originally posted by Jerry Pollard:
Tony, some "goooood lookin" food as usual on your posts and pics. What's a CG? (Chargriller)?

Jerry,

Yes, its the Chargriller Smokin' Pro. It is the very first smoker I bought. I like it alot but it does take some getting used to.

Originally posted by Jeff Smith:
Tony, good stuff as always.

About the CG, how does that hold temps compared to the WSM? Does it require much tending?

Jeff,

Yes, the CG requires much more tending than the WSM. In fact, I can put on a load of meat in the WSM and go to bed once the temps get stable. On the CG, I can get about 4 hours of steady time 220-250 time before I have to start tweaking again.

Hey Tony - looks awesome. I certainly loved my CG Pro/SFB until I wore it out. Should change my sig now since it's gone.

I also had a rib fest weekend. 3 spare racks Friday and 6 spare racks Sunday. All St. Louis cut. All on the WSM. Cycled the ribs, tips and ends through.

Thing that I miss about the CG Pro/SFB is the all wood cooks and the CI grates! It was also a great grill.

IMHO - the WSM is a better smoker "out of the box" for the price. But the CG Pro is a better grill in my view than the kettle/performer due to the ability to set level of the fire grate - and again those CI grates are awesome. Lot's of room to leave two of the grates out, grill direct over the coals then simply slide them to the side for indirect. CG Pro was GREAT for Prime Rib cooks too!

Tony
How much $s does the CG costs? I know where my wife of -- years hid our stimulus check! But i think id be in deeeep s..t if i bought more q stuff! My hobby is getting expensive and my patio crowded with stuff already.

IMHO - the WSM is a better smoker "out of the box" for the price. But the CG Pro is a better grill in my view than the kettle/performer due to the ability to set level of the fire grate - and again those CI grates are awesome. Lot's of room to leave two of the grates out, grill direct over the coals then simply slide them to the side for indirect. CG Pro was GREAT for Prime Rib cooks too!

Ray,

I agree 100% with you. The CI grates are awesome. The only problem I have with the CG is portability but that is why I am going to go ahead and get a kettle.

Thanks Tony. I just started with the hitch kit that Char-Grill sells...had a friend do a little extra welding....wasn't hard to do at all. I have a set of pictures demonstrating most to the technique if you are interested.

Originally posted by Jerry Pollard:
Tony
How much $s does the CG costs? I know where my wife of -- years hid our stimulus check! But i think id be in deeeep s..t if i bought more q stuff! My hobby is getting expensive and my patio crowded with stuff already.

Jerry,

You can get it online for $179 or you can get it at Lowes, some krogers and Home Depot. There may be more spots but if you can get one its really worth it.

Originally posted by Tony Hunter:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry Pollard:
Tony

Jerry,

You can get it online for $179 or you can get it at Lowes, some krogers and Home Depot. There may be more spots but if you can get one its really worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
From what I've read and I repeat, what I've read, the Bar-B-Chef is a pretty good unit right out of the box. Yes it's $100.00 more than the CG but just passing on what I've read about the top under $400.00 smokers out there. Bar-B-Chef offset.

Back