Ribs Mole + Spinnin' Chicken

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Sunday, heavily seasoned a rack of spares with fajita seasoning (so i thought)
DSCN9749.JPG

got a half chimney of Kingsford lit inside an 18 inch chamber inside my 22 inch WSM full of more Kingford + hickory wood for smoke.
DSCN9753.JPG

The ribs on. <span class="ev_code_GREY">after lookin' at these photos, i now understand my comments further down this post.</span>
Held a pretty steady 250º to 275ºF cook
DSCN9758.JPG

then the storms moved in...
DSCN9759.JPG

DSCN9760.JPG

the rain got within inches of the WSM
icon_eek.gif

DSCN9761.JPG

butt, we need the rain to help our bowling balls grow
DSCN9762.JPG

after three hours...
DSCN9764.JPG

...the ribs were then placed inside a large pan, + one quarter cup of cider vinegar + one quarter cup of water was added to the pan.
Then tightly covered with foil.
DSCN9765.JPG

DSCN9766.JPG

did that for 1 hour, 30 minutes.
Brought the ribs outta the pan and back on the grates.
DSCN9767.JPG

Then covered with a mole sauce.
DSCN9768.JPG

Kept the ribs on the grate for about 30 more minutes. Then removed, rested about another 15 then sliced.
DSCN9770.JPG

and served with green beans and iron skillet potatoes
DSCN9776.JPG

the taters were sauced with...
DSCN9772.JPG

DSCN9777.JPG

The mole was pretty good! The seasoning was NOT heavily applied as stated above, one could HARDLY taste the seasoning.
I've tried the same on other cuts of pork with GREAT taste and results. Just not on these ribs. <span class="ev_code_GREY">next time.</span>
Monday, a four pound fryer was sitting in Wicker's Marinade for well over 24 hours.
Then seasoned with Mural of Flavour and something I had laying around that tasted pretty knockout.
DSCN9781.JPG

I also had a few raw shrimpies soakin' in some sorta marinade since Cinco de Mayo... figured i'd better cook'em.
DSCN9778.JPG

Skewered + seasoned with a hot/spicy Naw'leans rub. Deep inside the WSM on a riser two inches above the coal.
DSCN9782.JPG

DSCN9783.JPG

while those were finishing well below, the bird spins above.
DSCN9784.JPG

the cooked (and almost gone) shrimpies
icon_biggrin.gif

DSCN9785.JPG

And As The Bird Turns...
DSCN9794.JPG

DSCN9800.JPG

about an hour and some odd minutes later...
DSCN9801.JPG

served with more green beans and some quite tasty peppered rice.
DSCN9803.JPG

Man, i'm tellya, using your WSM to cook chicken direct is a snap!
You get the direct heat without the flare ups you can experience with your kettles... It's Groovy Man! Check it out!

Well, thanks a lot for visiting, your company is very much appreciated!
Enjoy the evening!

Jim, who's eating all that great food?! I am dying for ribs; its been awhile for me and I'm having withdrawal. And YES! chicken at high heat in the WSM with no pan is the way to go. Best chicken I've ever done too. Thanks for the great post.

Jim, your chicken looks perfect. I never thought to put molé on ribs. Another great idea that I will steal
icon_smile.gif
. Did you make your own molé?

Great looking ribs, shrimp and chicken!!! I never would of thought to put mole sauce on ribs either.

HoleyMoley Jim you're killing me with your ribs again!
Still have some planned, but not bought.

Shrimps and spinner bird look terrific too!

Great post and pics!

Thanks everyone
icon_smile.gif

There is a Mexican Restaurant on 6th and Virginia in Milwaukee that serves spare ribs with molé sauce, so there.
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">are those bowling balls on stick?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>very much so.

Jim, that is a super looking feast, outstanding job as always. Yard is looking great and I'm sure that the rain was a welcomed addition to the day.

Awesome stuff! I really like the use of your riser in the WSM, very clever. The bowling ball crop is looking great this year -- I think they're going to be ripe a little early.

Looks great to me JIM!

Baconnaise?
icon_confused.gif

W0W im missing out on something! We only get it in 2 versions...1 eatable..And a diet one.!?

Killer food buddy! Put some EXTRA mayo on my plate pls!

Love the rotisserie!

I can't believe I had a Weber Kettle for 18 years before I bought my roto-thang.

The sides look good too
icon_biggrin.gif

Back