Ribs hate me!

R Sullivan

I am still semi new to this barbecue thing, and have had great success with several items. Wife asked for ribs last week, so I thought it would be just like the others, research on this site, do as told, perfect bbq outcome.... wrong! She tends to lean towards the "fall off the bone" style ribs, and I told her that I was going to change that! Well, the ribs I found were HUGE! The rack of baby backs was almost 4 pounds, and that was the smallest I could find. I did a modified 3-2-1 (2.5-.75-.5) at 225-250 and they turned out..... done. Texture was a little chewy but the fat content made them terrible! Is a 4 pound rack of loin backs an outlier requiring more time to render the fat down (even at temp), or do I just suck at BBQ'ing ribs?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R Sullivan:
I am still semi new to this barbecue thing, and have had great success with several items. Wife asked for ribs last week, so I thought it would be just like the others, research on this site, do as told, perfect bbq outcome.... wrong! She tends to lean towards the "fall off the bone" style ribs, and I told her that I was going to change that! Well, the ribs I found were HUGE! The rack of baby backs was almost 4 pounds, and that was the smallest I could find. I did a modified 3-2-1 (2.5-.75-.5) at 225-250 and they turned out..... done. Texture was a little chewy but the fat content made them terrible! Is a 4 pound rack of loin backs an outlier requiring more time to render the fat down (even at temp), or do I just suck at BBQ'ing ribs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

R Sullivan

From the size of the rack and the temps and length of time you cooked at sounds like you didn't cook them long enough for the meat to get tender or the fat render out. When you can stick a probe (tooth pick works for me) between the ribs and goes in like butter they are tender. If you feel a little resistance cook them another 30-45 minutes and check again. If the ribs had alot of fat on the surface maybe try trimming some off before cooking. I've cooked alot of ribs but just started in June on my WSM. Have found experimentation leads to experience. Good luck.

Scotty W.

Yep, not cooked long enough.
But I don't bother to foil at all.
I just figure 5 to 6 hours cook time. And I do the pull test, grab two bones and pull apart. You will know when they are done. Try not to go by time, or meat temp.
Just play with them!

Scotty is right: underdone.

Fall off the bone can be done without foil as well. Foil will achieve this quicker and the outer layer of the ribs will be softer unless you firm up after the foil.

Never cook ribs by time nor temp alone. Always go by feel with a pick between the bones. Next time feel for tender at 2 hours in so you will know what tender doesn't feel like.

Once you get the ribs like you want then you can start copying the cooks and then go by time and temp.

Keep trying and have fun!

^^ all the above. Sounds like more cooking was required for larger ribs. Don't forget that atmosphere affects cooking too. If it is colder, windy, etc., expect longer cook times as well. The probe method (toothpick/skewer/temp probe/etc.) inserted between bones will tell you when they are done. If the probe goes in as easily as into melted butter, then they are done. Some might suggest cooking ribs over higher heat, around 275°, which will cook them faster as well as rendering the fat better... according to Harry Soo.

Make notes about this cook to apply to future cooks, even if all you learned is what not to do next time. When you hit on the right combination resulting in ribs done the way you want, take notes about that too and use that as your base of how to cook ribs after that.

Thanks for all the replies! I did a tenderness test with a toothpick and it was great, but in hindsight, they didnt pull apart like I'd expected. Should also be duelly noted that these were done on an ECB. My birthday is in 3 weeks and when I told the wife I was ordering a WSM, she told me to pump the brakes until after the birthday... wonder what that means!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hey R,

Another thing I always do is trim off the top loin part across the whole rack. Almost to the bone. You never know how fatty it's going to be so I just trim it off and cook it on the side as a snack. I like just the meat in between the bones, if that makes any sense? Trimming it off makes the rack more uniform and cooks more evenly IMO. Everyone has a different way of cooking them, so take this advice with a grain of salt! It's just how we like them and after many rib cooks, this is what works best for me... Also, I used to foil, but just skip it now and usually cook them around 275..play around and you will find out what works best for you

"Ribs hate me!" LOL!

I like that. Yep, didn't cook them long enough. Easily 7 hr cook for a 4lb rack. I usually just grab a rib bone and twist, if it twists easily its ready. Carry over will do the rest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R Sullivan:
Well, the ribs I found were HUGE! The rack of baby backs was almost 4 pounds, and that was the smallest I could find. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
One rack of baby backs at 4 lbs was the smallest you saw? Hate me for asking, but are you sure you were looking at slabs of ribs and not, lets say, a bone in pork roast of some kind?

Thanks for all the replies! I did a tenderness test with a toothpick and it was great, but in hindsight, they didnt pull apart like I'd expected. Should also be duelly noted that these were done on an ECB. My birthday is in 3 weeks and when I told the wife I was ordering a WSM, she told me to pump the brakes until after the birthday... wonder what that means!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

R, My Wife has been in Paradise for now on 35 years. That means order the WSM and when it gets there say "OH, I must have misunderstood your meaning". Better to ask for forgiveness than permission sometimes.
icon_wink.gif

Everyone is right about the length of time - too short. But i must demur about the foiling. I also have a bride who likes extreme FOTB. When she makes ribs - not smoked - I call it rib stew. I always foil her ribs for at least an hour if not more, but no one else's. Rule # 1: keep the peace.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
Everyone is right about the length of time - too short. But i must demur about the foiling. I also have a bride who likes extreme FOTB. When she makes ribs - not smoked - I call it rib stew. I always foil her ribs for at least an hour if not more, but no one else's. Rule # 1: keep the peace. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Canada Mike is spot on! Keep the wife happy.

Where I buy my ribs, they come in packs of three. I cook two racks the way I want them (the right way) and one like she wants it.

I had some baby backs this weekend that hardly had any meat on them. After five hours all I had was bone!!
I have better luck getting spares and doing the St. Louis cut.
With the WSM, I don't do the 3-2-1 anymore.
-6- hours at 230 and they are falling off the bone and everyone is happy.

The first clue you are getting close is the meat pulling away from the ends of the bones. After that, I do the bone twist test every 45 minutes or so.

Just focus on maintaining your temp. Dont pay attention to the clock.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Well, the ribs I found were HUGE! The rack of baby backs was almost 4 pounds, and that was the smallest I could find. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
One rack of baby backs at 4 lbs was the smallest you saw? Hate me for asking, but are you sure you were looking at slabs of ribs and not, lets say, a bone in pork roast of some kind? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, ashamed I am to admit this, I purchased them at walmart, so all bets are off for meat quality when you buy meat in THAT store

I've bought nearly 4lb racks of loin backs from wallys and have not had any problems with them, if they are fatty trim, I've had my wsm for a year and started out doing the 321 and decided it was to much hassle for me, I've had good results at 260-280 4 to 5 hrs, but I'm not in the fotb camp.
icon_smile.gif

I've done loin backs twice now at 275.

The first time I left them on about 4-4.5 hours and they were definitely FOTB but a little dried out. My mistake was looking for the meat to recede off the bone but they did and they still passed the toothpick test.

The second time they both receded and passed the tooth pick test at around 3.5 hours and were juicier than attempt #1.

I foiled with water or apple juice in both attempts at the 2.5-3 hour mark.

Not saying this proves anything, just sharing my experiences with loin backs.

Back