Ribs from Sam's Club - good or bad??

Russ Harris

TVWBB Super Fan
Just recently got a membership at Sam's Club since its closer than Costco (I have one there too but it's under my mother-in-law's business so she foots the bill...
icon_wink.gif
)

Anyway my question is about the quality of the meat at Sam's - specifically the ribs. I took a quick stroll through the meat department (after I checked their booze selection) and got a look at the ribs. They looked okay to me but then again I'm no expert at judging meat with my naked eye. Has anybody had any experience with Sam's ribs? I need the scoop - good and bad. Talk to me Goose...

I buy ribs from Sam's all the time. We even use them in competitions the majority of the time. Spares or baby backs..never had an issue with either from our Sam's Club.

Its all good Mav! I just picked up a set of BBs from Sam's last night. $3.88 a pound here in NC. I have never had a problem purchasing any of the meats from Sam's, I've used it to produce some ribs that were so good, they made you want to do a Fly By on the tower!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck,
Tim

I hadn't tried their spares before we switched to Costco, but we got their babybacks a few times and they were very good.

Sam's around here sell IBP as their primary source of pork, and Excel as their back-up. I prefer the former, but lots of guys say there's no difference in supermarket pork brands. Been buying IBP ribs from Restaurant Depot lately, though.

We also get our competition ribs from Sam's. We buy 2 cryovacs and pick the best 4 racks.
We also get our comp butts from there

I've smoked numerous racks of ribs (usually spares cut down to St. Louis cut) bone-in pork butts, and whole packer briskets from Sams. The quality is excellent, and the prices are good (Spares are $1.88/lb; Pork Butt $1.88/lb; Briskey packer is $2.48/lb for choice.)

I get all my ribs at gordon foods now. I like the st louis ribs. They come out to about 7 dollars a rack but worth it to me. No trimming to do.

I've purchased both ribs and butts from Sam's with no problems. While I haven't been in a while I've purchase most of my meat (burgers, chicken, fish) etc all from Sam's.

I get back loin ribs from Sam's near Chicago. Don't know if they're the same as what you get out on the left coast. I guess I should get a picture of the cryovac label as well as the price sticker. (But what do we know about hog butchering in Chicago anyway.
icon_wink.gif
)

price-stickers.jpg

They also have baby back ribs and usually spares. I also get butts there for pulled pork. I've never seen packers here but they do have the flats and I've gotten them a couple times. I've never been disappointed.

have used Sam's ribs before, and for the most part they are good and consistent. Every now & then you get a thin third rack covered by the other two, but not very often.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dean:
I get all my ribs at gordon foods now. I like the st louis ribs. They come out to about 7 dollars a rack but worth it to me. No trimming to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dean - do you buy the frozen St. Louis ribs @ GFS? My location only has frozen ribs, but fresh butts & brisket. I usually call ahead and have them verify that they have what I need before I drive over there.

The Sam's in Arvada Colorado used to carry Prairie Fresh Ribs and they were really good. Lately they've had something else. I emailed Praise Fresh for a Colorado retailer but haven't heard back from them.

Yes I do Jim. They are frozen and come 5 racks to a box for like 35 to 40 bucks depending on the weight. Each rack come in a plastic sleeve so you can thaw right in that, clean em and pull the membrane off the back and rub them and put them back in the sleeve. Most other ribs are frozen too like sams and such. They are just thawed for the case. Try them at Gordons and you will be hooked on them!!

Back