Ribs barely pull back on the bone

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
I've been working on perfecting ribs for a long time now. One thing that baffles me is that I don't get much pull back on the bone.

I know some might be thinking they're not tender enough, well that isn't the problem. I've had ribs that were over-cooked and you can barely see any bone. Many use that as a measure of tenderness, but I can't get mine to do this but maybe one in five tries, if that. All of the pictures of "done" ribs that I've seen have about 1/4" bone visible.

I don't like mushy ribs and so I don't cook them until that point. I like a nice firm, juicy, but tender bite. Not quite a clean bone after biting. I know they're plenty tender. I've tried foiling and not foiling. When I foil the bones become a little more visible on the bone side, but not much.

What am I missing? They taste good, so I guess that's what counts.
icon_smile.gif

Darrell,

I've got the same issue and noticed that on baby backs I can't seem to get the pull back that I can on st. louis style. Even with st louis style the pullback isn't all that much. I've been trying to decide if it's a cooker temp issue......ie - more pull back if cooked around 200, or more pullback if cooked around 250.

What style rib do you use and what temp do you cook at typically?

By the way I posed this same question a few months back, so you can read some additional feedback if you want. Here is the link to that post.
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...=741104732#741104732

I often get it at high heat but not always. I usually cook well over 300. Here is a bback cook - with pullback. And here a spares cook - no pullback.

If the ribs are tender and you're happy pullback is immaterial, imo.

I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with fat content. If the rack is high in fat content then more fat is rendered out and the meat has room to pullback?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Wadda use guys worried about,
icon_smile.gif
If they are done and tender to your taste then so be it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul, I totally agree with that. Just thought I was doing something weird in that it wasn't the norm, at least I thought.
icon_smile.gif

I tend to have the biggest problem with spares, although it's happened with BB's too. I cook my spares at about 275 and BB's at about 315 or so, per some excellent advice from KK.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
icon_smile.gif
If they are done and tender to your taste then so be it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, but pullback just looks so dang cool!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Dace:
I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with fat content. If the rack is high in fat content then more fat is rendered out and the meat has room to pullback? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I wonder about too. Maybe the jewel I shop at doesn't have high quality ribs.

I always thought bone-shine was a bad thing (see Mike Mills, Peace Love and Barbecue). I think it's just a matter of the temp the ribs are cooked at. Higher heat seems to do it in my experience. I don't think it's any indication of the quality of the cook, so don't worry.

icon_smile.gif
If they are done and tender to your taste then so be it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>AMEN!

Back