Ribs - Avoiding washout

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
Most times, I foil my ribs. The one thing that I hate is "washout". I don't drown the ribs in liquid, but I wonder if by placing the ribs meat side down if this is the reason for my problem. I'm going to experiment with cooking them meat side up and see what happens.

Has anyone else noticed a difference?

but I wonder if by placing the ribs meat side down if this is the reason for my problem.

Maybe. If it is that might do it.

I do go meat side down. I use reduced juice(s) and/or stock(s) to add a flavor layer. Reducing them first concentrates their flavors so there is less water, more flavor volatiles in the mix. I don't use much, however.

Too, you can sprinkle on additional rub when the ribs come out (whether you've gone meat up or down), and/or you can add additional rub, if you wish, when foiling meat up.

Originally posted by Mike R.:
Washout, like when you take them out of the foil, all of the bark/rub is missing?

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Can't stand when that happens.

Thanks Kevin for the info. I'm going to use tablespoons this time for safe measuring.

try foiling dry. I typically foil this way.

You are going to lose bark flavor (and smoke) to the liquid so I don't use it and instead let the ribs steam in their own juices. Its not nearly as effective and won't add anything flavor-wise, but I'm ok with that and don't go for fotb anyways.

maybe a fat added to the foil might be another option to play with. Some flavors are water soluble and some are fat soluble.

I've never folied meat side down. The idea of putting the meat right into any liquid just doesn't appeal. I use a small bit, maybe half a cup, of 3 parts apple juice and 1 part Jack Daniels. But, always, I let them dry our for at least half an hour after foiling. That really helps drying and re-barking.

I use a large aluminum roasting pan with a rack inside and cover that with foil.

The nice thing about this way is the rack keeps the meat out of the liquid, the pan never tears or leaks in the grill. I can usually get two to three slabs in the pan or two nice butts.

When I am done, I just wash the pan out and save it for next time. I can get 15-20 cooks out of each $2.00 pan.

Jim

I've foiled for over a year but recently on my last two cooks I didn't foil at all and was really happy with the results. Better bark and way less mushy. I prefer a little tug on the bone. I haven't really noticed it taking significantly longer either. Is there a reason you feel you need to foil? You may want to experiment a few cooks without it.

I don't foil my meat for two reasons. 1) I am lazy and just like to get the smoker to 250 and let it ride until the meat is done. No fuss, no mess, and the meat comes out perfect. 2) Bark. Why would anyone want to ruin perfectly formed bark by foiling?

Originally posted by James Trapp:
I don't foil my meat for two reasons. 1) I am lazy and just like to get the smoker to 250 and let it ride until the meat is done. No fuss, no mess, and the meat comes out perfect. 2) Bark. Why would anyone want to ruin perfectly formed bark by foiling?

I'm a non-foiler, I think it taste better.

Foiling IMHO just ruins your bark ! Iam for low and slow and NO FOILING . But ymmv I tried foiling the other night and didn't care for the ribs . And only thing I saw was they cooked faster and Iam never in a hurry .

In addition to accelerating cooking, foil can:

1) prevent further darkening
2) be used to add a flavor layer
3) be used to even out cooking as the rack ends are generally exposed to more heat then the middle

bark can be revived by cooking out of the foil for a short time, such as the 3-2-1 procedure.

Back