Ribs and Rain and Hail, Oh My!

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
Ok, so maybe the title is a little exaggerated, but it does accurately describe my smoke day...

The day started off well enough. I trimmed and prepped my two slabs of spareribs and got them on the smoker (with the rib tips on the lower grate).

PXL_20230527_172642217.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20230527_174341429.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20230527_174958598.PORTRAIT.jpg

A couple hours later, the ribs were looking good...

PXL_20230527_213548390.PORTRAIT.jpg

Since I started my cook with a full-ish ring of coals leftover from my last rib cook, I decided to do a hot squat and check on my coal bed. I gave my coals a stir and pushed them all together for better fuel efficiency, but didn't need to add any new fuel. A few minutes later my low temp alarm was sounding. I figured it was just an anomaly and gave it a few minutes to rebound. It was at that point that things started going off the rails. My temps kept dropping inexplicably and by the time the temp got down to about 215 °F I realized that I had closed the vents instead of opening them after stirring my coals. Once the temp dropped down to 188 °F I decided that the best course of action was to add some hot coals to the WSM. That's when I saw this. . .

Screenshot_20230527-155513.png Screenshot_20230527-160441~2.png If you look close you can see the water bouncing off the WSM

So there I was standing in the rain trying to start a small chimney to add to the WSM. A few minutes after adding the fresh coals, the hail started. Fortunately it didn't last too long and even though it took a while, my temp finally recovered to 250 °F.

The cook went pretty smoothly from there on. I doctored up a store-brand BBQ sauce and brushed it on the ribs.

PXL_20230527_233703641.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20230527_234951467.PORTRAIT.jpg

Rounded out the meal with some veggies and mac & cheese. The family was hungry so there are no plated pictures, but if the after pictures are any indication, everyone clearly enjoyed the meal.

PXL_20230528_004000291.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20230528_004006917.PORTRAIT.jpg

All in all, I'd say today was a good Smoke Day!

Last edited:
Ok, so maybe the title is a little exaggerated, but it does accurately describe my smoke day...

The day started off well enough. I trimmed and prepped my two slabs of spareribs and got them on the smoker (with the rib tips on the lower grate).

View attachment 71279 View attachment 71281 View attachment 71283

A couple hours later, the ribs were looking good...

View attachment 71287

Since I started my cook with a full-ish ring of coals leftover from my last rib cook, I decided to do a hot squat and check on my coal bed. I gave my coals a stir and pushed them all together for better fuel efficiency, but didn't need to add any new fuel. A few minutes later my low temp alarm was sounding. I figured it was just an anomaly and gave it a few minutes to rebound. It was at that point that things started going off the rails. My temps kept dropping inexplicably and by the time the temp got down to about 215 °F I realized that I had closed the vents instead of opening them after stirring my coals. Once the temp dropped down to 188 °F I decided that the best course of action was to add some hot coals to the WSM. That's when I saw this. . .

View attachment 71301 View attachment 71302 View attachment 71300

So there I was standing in the rain trying to start a small chimney to add to the WSM. A few minutes after adding the fresh coals, the hail started. Fortunately it didn't last too long and even though it took a while, my temp finally recovered to 250 °F.

The cook went pretty smoothly from there on. I doctored up a store-brand BBQ sauce and brushed it on the ribs.

View attachment 71303 View attachment 71304

Rounded out the meal with some veggies and mac & cheese. The family was hungry so there are no plated pictures, but if the after pictures are any indication, everyone clearly enjoyed the meal.

View attachment 71306 View attachment 71307

All in all, I'd say today was a good Smoke Day!
Always more fun when a surprise or 2 are included:)

Great looking ribs. You averted a disaster and the family is happy. That's a win in my book.
Definitely a win. . . Though I did catch a little flack for not having any leftovers to share with a buddy from church. But apparently my 8 year old is in a growth spurt, he just about ate a half-rack on his own before I cut him off (in favor of a more balanced, or at least not all meat) dinner. Although, this is the same kid who would steal ribs from me when he was a toddler, so maybe it's not a growth spurt as much as it's just a deep appreciation of good BBQ.

Back