Rib racks

PeterSims

TVWBB Member
I've just purchased a rib rack well 2 . I have 4 racks of ribs ready to go. I'd like to not cut them and bend round the rack rather than cutting . But as it gets soft will the bones rip out and making foiling them harder and speedy help be appreciated

Well I went for keeping intact bent into a u shape

Attachments

• PXL_20240608_122912109.jpg
    PXL_20240608_122912109.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240608_122907847.jpg
    PXL_20240608_122907847.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 13
Yea ya could serpentine them.

I've cooked some giant pork shoulders in the 14. Think in the USA you'd say a 1/2 shoulder and you have the 2nd grill but this is my first attempt at 4 full racks. But tbh they would lay flat if you cut 2 of the tinny ones off the bottom so I suppose 3/4 racks . I was undecided on size but glad I went smaller as fuel efficient. A 3kg bag will do me 10h in the summer and some and in winter still 6h easy. Hope this helps
Yea ya could serpentine them.

Will the meat pull away from the bone tho with this serpentine method latter in the cook

Rib racks suck. If you're going to use a foiling method you're going to hate it..... It's a lot of trouble.... Sometimes you go to pull the ribs out and they're sticking inside the rack and you have a lot of trouble.... Burning your little fingers in the process. So the first thing you got to do is lift all full rack out of the smoker at one time and put it on something. That can be awkward. The longer your smoker is open the more the temperature is going to spike.... Opening the top of the WSM lets in air which causes the coals to take off. And frequently shoot over 300.

There is no substitute for laying ribs flat...... None.

18" WSM's can handle a pork butt okay, they can hack a brisket with a little bit of help..... But they stink at doing full racks of ribs. Simply not big enough. If you're lucky you can fit one rack across the middle and cut another rack in half and put it above and below. Or you can futz with racks.

Once you wrap them they can overlap a little when you lay them in there it's not going to hurt anything much

Weber makes a good stainless rack....about $50. I actually use it to put under the middle of brisket until they shrink. Most racks are not long enough and the ends of the ribs flop over and lay on the ribs next to them or something. Especially racks that are curved they're high in the center and they offer no support towards the ends

Last edited:
I can get 6 half racks flat as I have a spare grill I can flip upside down. Let's home I don't regret it. If I had the money I'd buy the whole family of wsm 😂

Will the meat pull away from the bone tho with this serpentine method latter in the cook
That was before I bought my 22.5" WSM so quite awhile ago.
I did three loin back and two spares IIRC and after about 2-3 hrs they do shrink enough so you can lay them flat.
i wrapped in foil made two packages.
The curved ends toward the outer edges do cook faster.

Ok interesting I've not taken meat shrinking into account. I'm checking I'm wrapping in 15 mins so I'll have to check that .

Ok so they have set in a u shape so never wanted to bend them back at risk of braking the meat. I think saucing them will be easy tho

😂 basically yes. I never took a pic but sauce to go . Mine will be dry . 2 st Louis and 2 baby back on low shelf . Will post when done .

Think the smile but come from another post as I said they had set in a u shape before I wrapped them. But think it's time I get some butchers paper

Back