Rib Racks and the WSM

Paul Balzotti

TVWBB Fan
Hi All,
My Wife picked up two Rib racks that hold 5 racks a piece. What is everybodies opinion on Rib Racks? Does anybody cut their full racks into half racks and then put them in? I have a fear of doing that only because when I do a full rack laying them flat the end ribs always come out over cooked.

Thoughts?

It's more likely the ends are overcooked because they are in the hotter air rising around the perimeter of the water pan. Cutting them in half and putting them in racks should alleviate that.

I prefer rolling them. I've tried a few racks, and they all basically are a pain in the hoo-hah. Rolling is easier and cheaper.

I've used my rib racks several times now. Sometimes I cut the slabs in half, and sometimes I don't - depending on the total number of slabs I'm making.

I've never had any problems (I always do BRITU), and the ribs are always wonderful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Balzotti:
Hi All,
My Wife picked up two Rib racks that hold 5 racks a piece. What is everybodies opinion on Rib Racks? Does anybody cut their full racks into half racks and then put them in? I have a fear of doing that only because when I do a full rack laying them flat the end ribs always come out over cooked.

Thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Paul,
I used a rack for my first baby back smoke and they came out great. http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x206/johnrhana/?acti...rrent=1182131448.pbw
Welcome and Happy Smokin'!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anybody cut their full racks into half racks and then put them in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a Weber rib rack from years ago. I had to bens the ends slightly to get it to fit on my WSM, and it works great. I can put 5 racks of ribs on at once - all on the top grate and they turn out fine.

Ray

Back