Rib Rack vs. Laying Ribs Flat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Ended-up going racked like I usually do and they were soooooo good. I now have more room on this cooker and was toying with the idea of not racking. Used Kevin's rub recipe and didn't sauce mine, out of this world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I started using Kevin's rub after seeing it and it has become my regular way of cooking. I've always preferred dry ribs and this recipe is great.

I just bought the 22 wswm for this very reason, space. I guess there is no right or wrong answer here as I used to rack my ribs on my performer all the time with fantastic results. However for me, my new 22 alows me to lay them flat to cook until I foil them. At that point, you will have some over lapping. If you have the room, lay them flat, if not rack or roll them to alow for the other things you are cooking at the same time.

I like cooking flat if possible. The rib rack I have is very tight and the ribs end up touching each other too much and not cooking as even IMO. With the rib rack pictured in the above thread I would not see this as a problem.

if i am just doing 2 racks i will halve them and use the weber rib rack just like Larry did.. if i am doing 3 or more i roll them. i don't like laying whole racks on the WSM as the end ribs get crunchy and i hate to waste good meat. i also invert the ribs about half way through the cook. this seems to work good for me.

I don't think I can tell any difference between racked ribs and flat ribs. The flat ones are easier to sauce, and the racked allow for more meat in the smoker. In my case the determining factor is how many racks I'm doing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
if i am just doing 2 racks i will halve them and use the weber rib rack just like Larry did.. if i am doing 3 or more i roll them. i don't like laying whole racks on the WSM as the end ribs get crunchy and i hate to waste good meat. i also invert the ribs about half way through the cook. this seems to work good for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is SO true concerning end ribs getting (over-cooked)! I don't notice it as much on my top rack so far, but I'm sure Tony has cooked a whole lot more slabs than my dozen or so!

The ribs in the USA look so much bigger and fatter than the ones here in Australia!

Who is Kevin and what is his rub recipe please, as that does look a lot better than mine!

Thanks
Ryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
if i am just doing 2 racks i will halve them and use the weber rib rack just like Larry did.. if i am doing 3 or more i roll them. i don't like laying whole racks on the WSM as the end ribs get crunchy and i hate to waste good meat. i also invert the ribs about half way through the cook. this seems to work good for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is SO true concerning end ribs getting (over-cooked)! I don't notice it as much on my top rack so far, but I'm sure Tony has cooked a whole lot more slabs than my dozen or so! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do the exact same thing with my rib rack. Halfway thru the cook I just turn the rack around. Interestingly enough, Harry Soo mentioned that he just trims those ends off since they usually cook so quickly anyway.

It also helps having a big enough rib rack since the smaller ones let the slabs drape on each other causing uneven cooking and inadequate access. The rack I have allows air to get all around the meat without any of the slabs touching. I can spritz or even add rub without much of an issue.

I do whatever the grill size needs me to do. If doing a slab or two,there is no need to use a rack,either on the WSM or the grill. If having friends over,and need to do significantly more slabs,then I will bust out the rib rack,or roll them. HTH

Ryan - Kevin is Kevin Kruger, a list member and something of a BBQ, culinary and gastronomical god here on the list. If he posts a recipe, try it!

Check the recipe section for some of his rub mixes and recipes.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan D:
Who is Kevin and what is his rub recipe please, as that does look a lot better than mine! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rub can be found HERE

I have both the 22 1/2 WSM and an 18" WSM and the still usually cut the ribs and cook them in a rack on the 18 rather than 22 because I don't notice any real difference in putting them on the 22 other than it taking alot more charcoal. I'll use the 22 1/2 if I'm doing a high capacity cook. But then I usually use racks in there. I now some like pictures of full racks but you can't eat a picture and I dont serve a full rack to someone at the table ...usually.

OK----------
Since in injected the rolled rib question in this post, the next question I have pertaining to "rolled ribs" is, Do you foil them rolled????
And how???, just wrap up the roll??

Tom(Bauer) I think your question would get better attention as a separate topic.

But when I've done large capacity rib cooks in my 18 before the 22 came around I would do 5-5 racks per grate rolled , skewered and then cut off the end of the skewer. It worked but wasn't ideal because to foil you have to take them all off cut them and then wrap them in foil with applejuice or whatever extra liquid.

Because they are rolled its tough to get them to stack in the foil without poking through the foil which is one of the reasons its less than ideal and because of the quantity its tough to have the liquid have the same effect throughout all the ribs. Again done it , it worked ok but wasn't my best cook. you still have to take them out of the foil and sauce and put ack on for a few to get a nice glaze which was a mess after foiling all those ribs.

I'd repost as an independent as you'll get many more opinions.

Back