Rib Rack vs. Laying Ribs Flat

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Anyone have strong opinions on doing ribs in a rib rack vs. laying them flat on the grate? Personally, I like using a rib rack, however, the other day I read it's best to lay flat so the "melting fat can stay on the surface of the ribs." Any thoughts here?

BTW, I do not mop, baste or spray my ribs.

I've tried it both ways and prefer to lay them flat. I will use a rack if I need to cook ribs in quantity.
I only mop my ribs in competition.

When using the BOTTOM rack, any advantage to the ribs layed flat will be negated by the ends overcooking a bit before the middle of the rack reaches prime doneness.

If I was to only cook two slabs though, I'd lay 'em flat on the top rack. My best ribs have always been layed flat, and it stands to reason that in a vertical position the "pig honey" drips off much quicker. However, if using the bottom rack, even though I haven't done it yet, I'd recommend rolling and skewering. I've read a lot of posts here from folks that do this with great results, and it seems to make sense to me, based on my experience so far with cooking on the bottom rack.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy Francis:
I've tried it both ways and prefer to lay them flat. I will use a rack if I need to cook ribs in quantity.
I only mop my ribs in competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always try and cook in bulk to optimize my smoke. I like racks so I can get a good many racks on.

I have done it both ways, some in racks and some flat, in the same cook and in the same smoker, a 24x48 w/up-right GATOR. Couldn't tell the difference. The ribs turned out tender, juicy and flavorful.

IMHO when the ribs are in a rack, the heat and smoke circulates better if not evenly on both sides of the ribs.

joe

I don't think there's much difference in taste, but I do prefer to lay 'em flat...that way way there's no rib rack hassels, like cleanup, ribs touching, or sticking, etc ...also if you like to sauce your ribs, the sauce doesn't slide off
icon_rolleyes.gif
....sooo I tend to use my 22 over my 18 WSM for those reasons
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"melting fat can stay on the surface of the ribs." Any thoughts here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah. Nonsense. It's akin to the numerous Q proclamations considered axiomatic - but that are bogus.

I too like to lay them flat. Not that I think they taste better this way, but they are less fuss and easier to sauce. I love my 18.5 WSM, but wish I had the 22.5 WSM for the increased grate space. This is why I only use my WSM mainly for pork shoulders and briskets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"melting fat can stay on the surface of the ribs." Any thoughts here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah. Nonsense. It's akin to the numerous Q proclamations considered axiomatic - but that are bogus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why doesn't it make sense to say that melting fat will stay on the (top/meat side) surface of the meat longer? Isn't the meat side where most of the fat will come from? Does melted fat just evaporate like water? Isn't it simply a matter of gravity, just like sauce not staying on the slabs when vertical, as already pointed out?

I'm not saying it's a big difference, just trying to figure out what's meant by "nonsense".

I should have been clearer by quoting more of the OP. Yes, you're right, melting that is on the surface will stay there - at least till it drips off. But this doesn't make it 'best' or even better. Whether the fat drips off immediately (as is the case if in a rack) is of no consequence to an excellent finish. Whether sauce drips off is another matter. I abhor sauced ribs so it isn't an issue for me (I use racks if I am cooking several slabs, I don't if not) - but if one is saucing during cooking it might well be a concern. (A glaze, however, made well, won't run off, and might be a good alternative.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I should have been clearer by quoting more of the OP. Yes, you're right, melting that is on the surface will stay there - at least till it drips off. But this doesn't make it 'best' or even better. Whether the fat drips off immediately (as is the case if in a rack) is of no consequence to an excellent finish. Whether sauce drips off is another matter. I abhor sauced ribs so it isn't an issue for me (I use racks if I am cooking several slabs, I don't if not) - but if one is saucing during cooking it might well be a concern. (A glaze, however, made well, won't run off, and might be a good alternative.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotcha, Kevin. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

I guess that draft direction or temp variation in a given cooker is more important in deciding rib placement, thus there's no consensus on "layed flat" as being any better.

Although not always a measure of "doneness", I have noticed that my ribs pull back on the bone more often when they're racked. As the previous poster mentioned, I think it does allow the heat to circulate evenly on the top and bottom of the ribs.

Not to steal the posting--- but, how about rolling the ribs and sticking a skewer thru them to hold the rack together??? What is the downside to this method??

I've been rocking and rolling for a while now. I can get more racks on than laying them down, but maybe one less than racking. I find the results quite good with a skewered roll.

From my first rib cook (the BRITUs) I've always rolled and skewered the ribs. my 18 incher is able to comfortably hold six racks and doing the rotate and switching of levels is truly easy.

Its very easy to check for doneness and cleanup is as easy (or hard) as any other cook, but at least I don't have to also clean a stand as well.

typing this up is making me hungry.. off to the store for some pork ribs I think!

Oh balderdash! Just put'em on your charbroil gasser, set it on high and walk away! JK! I like to lay em flat as well! I don't sauce my ribs until the end of cook but use a lot of course ground spices in my rubs and that keeps them from coming off.

Ended-up going racked like I usually do and they were soooooo good. I now have more room on this cooker and was toying with the idea of not racking. Used Kevin's rub recipe and didn't sauce mine, out of this world.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Ended-up going racked like I usually do and they were soooooo good. I now have more room on this cooker and was toying with the idea of not racking. Used Kevin's rub recipe and didn't sauce mine, out of this world.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks fantastic! What was your total cook time? And at what average temp?

I just did my 2nd cook using my rack on Friday and I have to say i MUCH prefer laying flat.

What I ran into (and it might just be my rack and ribs) was that the ribs were too thick and overall they didn't cook evenly. While my 2 end racks were fine, I had to toss the middle 2 in the oven for another 45 minutes to get them tender.

As long as you have airflow between the racks I guess it would be the same... I'm very jealous of all you 22" owners

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard Marquez:
Looks fantastic! What was your total cook time? And at what average temp? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Total cook time was 6:20 and as you can see in the graph I set my temp for 235 for the first 4:40 or so of the cook, bumped the temp up to 250 the remainder of the cook.

I put the thicker pieces on the outside, thinner on the inside of the rack all were perfectly done at the same time. This was a very easy cook. Put the ribs on and didn't open cooker until the 6:20 mark and they were done. Piece of cake.

FirstSparesF.jpg

Back