Rib Rack revisited. Prototype up.

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.

There was a thread discussing rib racks in december and january. That is what got the design wheel rolling. I finally got the prototype built and am doing a test burn today.

The first and second picture is just putting the ribs in the rack. #1 #2 There are 6 slabs on the rack. I was thinking it was tight. Especially because 1 was a lot wider than usual and quite a bit shorter than the rest.

Anyhow for you foilers out there like me this is a dream setup. foiled I went out at 3:05 and was back inside after foiling and taking picture at 3:10
icon_wink.gif

And finally a pic out of the juice phase. Almost there

Edit: Took pics offline several days after posting for possible patent reasons. Just wanted to give regualars a sneak peek.

That looks awesome! Very nicely done. Is it made from stainless, aluminum, or unobtainium?

That stuff is hard to get ya know.

tom

The one you see pictured is alumanum. Future models are going to be steel then coated. probobly porcelin coating.

I was thinking nickel plating but after this burn I am thinking the porcelin coating may make cleanup easier. This thing has a lot of nooks and crannies that are hard to scrub.

I just got back from the neighbors who got to share the ribs from the maiden voyage. One thing I noticed. My ribs were the same color. When I used the standard rib racks the color didn't seem uniform on all the ribs. Every one was uniform in color tonight.

I did do my ribs slightly different than I had been doing them. I came across a recipe years ago that called for applying rub and foil with italian salad dressing overnight. I have been reading on the forums a while and noticed that I seem to be the only one doing this. so I skiped it today. I rubed and put the smoke to them. The big thing I noticed is my ribs didn't taste hammy tonight. I think they were the best ribs I have ever made.

Thanks everyone.

Matt, it is still a little early for that. Hopefully in a month or so. Hopefully. I have some good ideas but it takes a while for them to happen. Especially with 3 kids.
icon_wink.gif

Matt, I had to read your post 3 times before I understood. Wow what a day, a long day.
icon_eek.gif
That idea certainly couldn't hurt.

I sure would like to knock out 4 of these here in the next week. My dads company has a big spring fling. He asked me to smoke some ribs. I am going to borrow my buddies WSM for a couple dozen ribs cook. It would be nice I just don't see it happening. Wish me luck.
icon_wink.gif

Now I realize that I have been away/lurking from some time now, but...Hey Jeff, did you ever get that rib rack perfected?

Keith, the short answer is no.

I have made 2 more prototypes and had them nickle plated. They came out nicely but quite expensive to plate. The welding can get towards very tedious and the bends on my handmade steel make it hard to make a jig to do a large quantity. So I am designing something just for that.

I am thinking of using stainless instead of any coating. Mainly the cost of the plating was far more than I would have spent on stainless. I am also searching around trying to find a company that currently makes some kind of a grill grate ie the actual manufacturer ot weber racks. I figure it would cost less to buy them from someone who already makes them than to do it myself. I haven't had much luck in that area yet.

I hope that answers your question.

Back