Rib question

B. Kaylor

TVWBB Fan
Work prevents a 5-6 hour cook this weekend and I need to smoke 5 racks of spears on Saturday, then heat'em up Sunday evening.

Is there any way to do this and still get tender, tasty ribs ?? .. I'm sure that someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks so much !!!

Brad, Ribs reheat just fine. I cook mine till done, and sauce (if doing so) on the WSM. I don't cook my ribs till falling of the bone though. I like the meat to have a little pull off the bone, but the meat comes off clean. Place on wire cooling racks and once they have cooled place them in the fridge till cold. Once cold, then wrap them up really tight in foil. This way you won't get condensation built up inside the foil. Next day take them out and let them sit out of the fridge for an hr or 2. Then I just reheat in the oven at 300º till warmed through, about 20-30 min. HTH

Bryan, THANKS SO MUCH !! Believe me when I say that I'll sleep better knowing that it is that easy. Thanks again !

Originally posted by B. Kaylor:
Work prevents a 5-6 hour cook this weekend and I need to smoke 5 racks of spears on Saturday, then heat'em up Sunday evening.

Is there any way to do this and still get tender, tasty ribs ?? .. I'm sure that someone can shed some light on this.

How the hell do you get spears tender? Lances maybe, javelins on a good day, but spears?
icon_smile.gif

Totally kidding. Follow the BRITU method, or just wait a bit and you'll get tons of advice. Useful stuff too. Not just a dork making jokes about grammar.
icon_smile.gif

Longer if you Minion the start (I usually do but didn't in one of the linked cooks).

Spares I generally do a bit lower, ~300 lid (after a Minion start). If I foil I foil after good color is achieved and then run the heat up another 25-50 degrees. I finish (i.e., cook till tender) while still foiled. A few minutes on the grate, unfoiled, thereafter, will firm the bark and can be used to set a thin glaze.

Remember not to cook by time though. Cook till tender.

(These, more typical of a higher heat spare cook for me using foil, went a bit under 2:45. They are lighter in color than my usual ribs because I was testing a rub I'd worked on for a comp team. It contained little in the way of dark ingredients or ingredients that wold darken substantially during cooking.)

Tom, Sorry about the spelling ! It was late and I was in a hurry. And yes I do know the difference: you can eat the Spares. THANKS to all ! The ribs are for my mother's 77th B'day, and I know that she'll love 'em.

Back