Rib Foiling Method/Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Barineau

TVWBB Super Fan
I want to try foiling BB ribs. Have searched the zillions of posts on this subject, but some of the threads to seem to have disappeared. I was looking for Stogie's in particular, but time is running out on me. Can someone briefly describe his method. I'm aware of the 3-2-1, just not sure if I should foil and put in rack, stack, or exactly what is the best and easiest way to use foil.

Tom

Tom
here's what I do, I cook the ribs until they reach a good color (with spares it's about 3 hours at pit temps of 230 to 245).

At that point I foil, I don't care very sweet ribs so the only thing I add is some fruit juice. I do not put the ribs on for 2 hours I find that is too long and the ribs become mushy, if you like failing off the bone then two hours may be the time you would want to leave then in foil. I will only leave the ribs in the foil for about 45 min to 1 hour. Once they reach the state that I can slide a tootpick in the meat between and it feels like it is going into warm butter I pull them out of the foil and they go back on the cooker. This portion of the cook doesn't take an hour in most cases 1/2 hour to 45 mins normally. I glaze in the last 15 mins.
Jim

One more question--is it normal for temp to go from 230 to 275 after ribs are foiled (with no changes to the bottom vents)? That's what happened and after I took them out of the foil the temp went to almost 270 and is slowly coming down. I was trying to keep 225-230 consistently. Is that not possible or desirable?

Thanks for the very timely replies.

Tom

Probably having the cooker open while you foiled the ribs rejuvenated the fire. I make it a point to replace the lid while I perform any operations on the meat that take any longer than under a minute.

Where's the dumba** emoticon when I need it??

Incidently, the ribs were excellent using the foil for about 45 minutes--in spite of my goof-up that caused the heat to soar.

The learnin" from tvwbb never stops.

Tom

Well you're not going to believe this one.....

Yesterday I foiled some mustard slathered ribs at noon (they'd been on since about 9 AM at 225 - 235).

I was called away until about 5:30 PM and my Guru kept the pit going until then.

Despite nearly 9 hours total cook time and over 5 hours in foil they were great. The mustard rub seemed to give it a nice crispy bark. Some may have said they were mushy but to us they were "fall off the bone" tender.

Rob
I had a very similar experience over the summer:
foiled some ribs after about 3 hours of cooking. my intention was to let them go about an hour then finish them with no foil but got caught up doing something else. after 3 hours in foil the ribs were very much "falling of the bone", you couldn't really pick em up.
My lesson learned is this: Fine to ignore a pork butt for hours, but ribs require timing and attention in the finishing stages.

morgan

starting to get hungry now
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back