Rib-Eye Smoke: Possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
----
Hi Kevin, I did read your epic on grilling and just reviewed it again. I guess my post 'how to smoke a rib-eye' is really in the context of my circumstances having a WSM and only a gas grill. Your post makes me really think I ought to add a charcoal grill to my arsenal and relegate the gasser to perhaps burgers and weinies.

Just to clarify, rib-eye is my favourite steak, even above tenderloin. That dark marbeled part on the outside beteween the two fat rings is just heaven on a plate!

No need to come eat unsatisfactory steak, just come by and you can educate me on the art of steak grilling, I'll buy the meat, it would be an honour.
-----

NO....there is nothing wrong with having a gas grill. I have a Weber Genesis Gold and love the thing. There is a place and time for the WSM (like right now with the 3 butts I have on) and a time for gas (especially if it's a Weber GG). I use it for cooking steaks...if I want the flavor of coals and or wood smoke...I have a small cast iron pan I put on one side with a few lump coals and some wood chips. I put it in and let it go until it catches and slowly starts to burn...then I throw the steaks and cook them like I normally do.

I didn't completely cover it with the bacon and since it only takes about 1/2 hr per pound, the smoke doesn't over power the taste buds.

Since only family got to try this, I'll have to do it again to prove to my friends that I'm not as crazy as they think.

I thought I had silenced them with my Turkey In A Bucket but it looks like my job isn't done.
icon_biggrin.gif
I'll try smoking anything and so far, the only dissappointment has been the lobster.

I sure have had fun with the ribeye roasts in the WSM why not a steak. I have done the Santa maria tri-tip in the wsm and on the grill and think I prefer it on the grill. using a three zone fire sear on side eone , cook on side one flip sear on side two rotate 90 degrees for gril marks and finish to temp.

It's funny I ran across this conversation today because I was at Sams last night and was drooling over the packer trim boneless prime ribs they had in the case. Mixed in with the choice ones were a couple of IBP usda prime ones at the same price (6.96/lb). I dont have the freezer space and have two bautiful black angus prime ribs in there now but man was it tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back