Rib-Eye Smoke: Possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Let's see if we can figure out a way to smoke rib-eyes. I think searing and the cross-hatch is desireable. A smoke ring and a medium rare steak might be pink throughout but if the steak is seared before smoking no smoke ring may form.

Ok, I don't think a smoke ring is necessary just the taste. So how about this: start with at least 1.5" thick rib-eye steaks, allow to come to room temp, rub oil into both sides then sear both sides over very high heat just long enough to get a nice cross-hatch.

Move steaks into WSM with lit light smoke wood (maybe not heavy like mesquite), apply desired seasoning/salt insert meat probe and cook without flipping to internal temp of 140F (medium rare?). If desired, return to grill over not as high heat briefly to brown up and sauce.

Your thoughts?

Sounds like a lot of unneccessary work. Set up your grill with direct flamage on one side and indirect heat on the other. You want smoke? Add chips or chunks to the fire. Sear on high heat and then simply move those lovely steaks over to the indirect heat side to finish.

You won't need to fire up two things and you will have the same results.

steak.jpg

I only have a gas grill + WSM myself, though I've been reluctant to only fire up one side of the burner maybe it would be OK just for these guys, I could get one of them SS smoke boxes for wood chips and give it a go. Thanks Chet. You didn't really comment on the idea or the process, or expectation of the finished product, what do you think of the idea, good or waste of a rib-eye?

Hey Shawn,

Check out my post from a few days ago here.

I promise beautiful grill marks and and excellent smoky flavor. In the post I suggested mesquite, but I've also had fantastic results with apple, almond, hickory, and oak whisky barrel chips.

Here's a little trick to get even more smoky flavor:
When you move the steaks to the cool side, throw a big 'ol handful of SOAKED chips on one half of the coals, and a nice big handful of DRY chips to the other half. The soaked chips (nice and wet) will kill off a ton of the heat before eventually smoking. The dry chips start smoking right away. But, because the overall heat has been dropped, the steaks will be cooking more slowly (and soaking up more smoke flavor). Eventually, the wet chips will start smoking too, usually about the time the dry chip smoke runs out. Be careful, because this is a good way to really over smoke a good steak. *You've been warned*

Give my method (from the other post) a try... I think you'll be happy. If not, I'd be happy to come over and eat it for you!

Eat well,
Kevinator

Shawn, I'm just not sold on the smoking the steak thing. IF you throw a nice chunk of smoke wood in your grill(gas or kettle) the meat will get the flavor you're looking for.

I think steaks are meant for the grill and should be done over lava grade heat. Just my thoughts...prove me wrong!!
icon_wink.gif

Hi Shawn,

Well, it appears that we posted at about the same time so I wasn't aware of your situation.

IMO, even a top quality gasser won't do a fine rib-eye justice. It just takes outrageous searing heat. The "big time" steak houses (Ruth's Chris, Morton's, etc) generaly sear over 1200-1600?

Now, we can't get into that neighborhood, but we can approach 850-1000? I've recently abandoned my trusty kettle and have begun using my new WSM exclusively (space limits me to only one cooker). I recommend LAScott's grilling technique found here. I've used his charcoal/grill placement technique for grilling some lamb and fish, but have yet to try a steak. I'm currently looking at a couple of simple mods to my WSM to enhance it's grilling capabilities, and will probably get back to beef when I'm satisfied that it'll work. I take my beef serious.

If you're stuck on the gasser, save the coin and just drop a mound of your favorite DRY chips onto a sheet of foil. Wrap it up and poke a few holes and drop it on the hot side. You'll want to get it on when you start the sear, as it usually takes several minutes for the smoke to take off from a foil pouch. The searing won't prevent a good smoky flavor from developing on your steak. But you're correct in that you'll get no smoke ring.

If you do it right, they won't last long enough for anyone to notice the missing smoke ring
icon_smile.gif

Eat well,
Kevinator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin S. (Kevinator):
Hey Shawn,

Check out my post from a few days ago http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=98110183&f=5980069052&m=8700088852&p=1

I promise beautiful grill marks and and excellent smoky flavor. In the post I suggested mesquite, but I've also had fantastic results with apple, almond, hickory, and oak whisky barrel chips.

Here's a little trick to get even more smoky flavor:
When you move the steaks to the cool side, throw a big 'ol handful of SOAKED chips on one half of the coals, and a nice big handful of DRY chips to the other half. The soaked chips (nice and wet) will kill off a ton of the heat before eventually smoking. The dry chips start smoking right away. But, because the overall heat has been dropped, the steaks will be cooking more slowly (and soaking up more smoke flavor). Eventually, the wet chips will start smoking too, usually about the time the dry chip smoke runs out. Be careful, because this is a good way to really over smoke a good steak. *You've been warned*

Give my method (from the other post) a try... I think you'll be happy. If not, I'd be happy to come over and eat it for you!

Eat well,
Kevinator <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kevin, I did read your epic on grilling and just reviewed it again. I guess my post 'how to smoke a rib-eye' is really in the context of my circumstances having a WSM and only a gas grill. Your post makes me really think I ought to add a charcoal grill to my arsenal and relegate the gasser to perhaps burgers and weinies.
icon_smile.gif

Just to clarify, rib-eye is my favourite steak, even above tenderloin. That dark marbeled part on the outside beteween the two fat rings is just heaven on a plate!

No need to come eat unsatisfactory steak, just come by and you can educate me on the art of steak grilling, I'll buy the meat, it would be an honour.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Shawn, I'm just not sold on the smoking the steak thing. IF you throw a nice chunk of smoke wood in your grill(gas or kettle) the meat will get the flavor you're looking for.

I think steaks are meant for the grill and should be done over lava grade heat. Just my thoughts...prove me wrong!!
icon_wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah I'm with ya especially for soemthing like a 1/2" thick eye of round. I'm just thinking the fat content of a really thick rib-eye might make for some really good smoked & grilled eats.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin S. (Kevinator):
... The "big time" steak houses (Ruth's Chris, Morton's, etc) generaly sear over 1200-1600?... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thinking here that a 10oz rib-eye is done or nearly so once searing is complete at those temps ... thing I'm wondering about is the fat content of a rib-eye (heck maybe even 2" thick) that a low, slow smoke session around 250F might be a great thing in addition to less intense searing, which is I think, the gist of your great post on steak grilling, in essence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chet Johnson:
...I choose to "waist" them instead.
icon_smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> AMEN brother!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:

Just to clarify, rib-eye is my favourite steak, even above tenderloin. That dark marbeled part on the outside beteween the two fat rings is just heaven on a plate! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shawn, ME TOO!
icon_eek.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Hello again Shawn,

After sleeping on the topic, it dawned on me that your intent isn't merely cooking a great steak, but rather smoking what appears to be a 'smoke friendly' cut of meat. With that in mind, I would think a workable technique would involve a slow smoke at first, bringing the steak up to near where you'd like to be (130??), then a quick disassemble of the unit and drop the cooking grill down on top of the charcoal ring for a quick sear for grill marks and surface carmelization. The trick would be to know when to stop the low-n-slow process before moving to the direct heat to prevent running past an acceptable level of doneness.

If the steak is already at an internal of 130?, how much searing can it take before hitting 140? or 180? (oops). And, one must also consider the residual cooking that always occurs while resting. Maybe pull and sear at 120?? 115??

Shawn, I hereby nominate you as the principle in this critical research project. Blazing new trails and broadening mankind's epicurean horizon is not for the timid. Should you accept this assignment, we — the collective members of TVWB — expect full details. Be brave, be strong, be swift.
icon_smile.gif

Eat well,
Kevinator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...If the steak is already at an internal of 130?, how much searing can it take before hitting 140? or 180? (oops). And, one must also consider the residual cooking that always occurs while resting. Maybe pull and sear at 120?? 115??

... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think it wouldn't take much. I'd try pulling somwhere between those numbers.

I'm gonna do it .... two different ways, pre-sear and post-sear. For the post sear I will pull at 120F as you suggested. Thanks for all your input!

Another variation for pre sear cook, I could cut off maybe 1/2 cup from a frozen pound of butter and put it on top the steak when it goes into the smoker to help prevent the steak from drying out. Butter smoked Rib-eye??

I do Rib-eyes on my WSM all the time. Smoke 'em, slice 'em, and grill 'em.

After being told by some friends that only a sicko would waste a perfectly good chunk of filet mignon, I did a whole beef tenderloin last week.

I rubbed it with McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning, wrapped it in bacon, & smoked it until the internal temp was 130. I wrapped it in foil for an hour and finished off it on my son's cheapo gas grill. I seared the outside on high and kept turning it every 2 minutes until the meat came up to 150 degrees. I have to say it was one of the best pieces of beef I've ever had.

My son would rather have a taco than a steak but he wound up eating over a pound by himself! Go for it Shawn!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phil S:
I do Rib-eyes on my WSM all the time. Smoke 'em, slice 'em, and grill 'em.

After being told by some friends that only a sicko would waste a perfectly good chunk of filet mignon, I did a whole beef tenderloin last week.

I rubbed it with McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning, wrapped it in bacon, & smoked it until the internal temp was 130. I wrapped it in foil for an hour and finished off it on my son's cheapo gas grill. I seared the outside on high and kept turning it every 2 minutes until the meat came up to 150 degrees. I have to say it was one of the best pieces of beef I've ever had... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Ok, I want to come to your house for dinner! OMG that sounds good! Question, if it was wrapped in bacon did the smoke flavour still penetrate the tenderloin? Thanks for the support and the recipe Phil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back