Rib cook w/ pics

Rich Langer

TVWBB Guru
OK, so my friend told us that Best Buy had neat-o camera on sale, and I wanted to cook some ribs.

Start at 1PM, ambient 45F, wind was starting to blow. put about a dozen brix of K into the Chimney & filled the ring with K & 2 small chicks of hickory. Cut the ribs to St. Louis & sprinkled with Head Country All Purpose.

Emptied the chimney into the center (more or less) of the ring, assembled the cooker with a foiled ceramic dish in a foiled WSM bowl.

Cooked for about 2 hours at about 250F, then painted the ribs with KC Masterpiece, cooked another 2 hours, toothpick went in EASILY between the ribs, glazed the ribs w/Danny G's rib glaze, cut them and put them in the warmer (a cooler at room temp) wrapped in towels.

YUMMY - wifey (CBJ 7162) scored them 7,9,9

Heres output of my new camera

As far as the camera, I feel like I am a baby who has just learned to crawl. It appears that it can do so much but I don't know how yet.

I took about 13 pics and filled the included memory card - is the resolution (size) or the pics variable? Makes me glad I bought a Megabyte memory card
icon_smile.gif

took about 13 pics and filled the included memory car
Rich,
There should be different settings for picture quality. Something like good, better, best. Better the setting, the more room each pic will take up on your card. I think I have mine set in the middle. If I read the specs correctly, the card that came with the camera is only 32 MB, not much room. Definitely worth it to have a bigger memory card, I put in a 512MB, and it will go for a long time before filling up.

By the way, nice ribs!!

Steve

Hey Rich, in the end pics don't matter - you'll figure it out. Read the manual
icon_smile.gif

Most importantly those ribs look great!!!
icon_eek.gif

Don't you think a 7 for appearence is a little high, what would you of scored them. Question what kind of WSM on Crack are you using there i have never seen anything like that

Originally posted by paul h:
What ,no garnish?????

The only garnish those ribs need is a knife and fork (and maybe a beer).
icon_biggrin.gif

On second thought, forget the knife and fork. Just a beer and plenty of napkins.

Jason, remember, I'm an old fart not a young pup like you. I put the WSM top and middle on an 18" kettle bottom part.

No bending over
icon_biggrin.gif

You gonna be at Wamac?

No i won't be able to be at Wamac my next one will be at Taylorville Illinois, first year contest at the fairground thought I would try it only an hour from home

Rich, that set up is really nice. Great idea imho..
Can I be so bold and score your ribs?
7 looks good.
4 my screen didnt taste all that great.
3 screen was tough too.

Dale, how can you properly judge Rich's ribs without all the tools necessary to be prepared. Were you wearing pink suspenders?How about a hat with 1000 pins in it?, lastly your little styrofoam cooler?
icon_biggrin.gif

I would give them a 5. Below average. THose dark spots are burnt, unappealing. Next time try using a sharp knife and not a butter knife. You'll get cleaner cuts... Wouldn't want to eat them....

I sorta like this judging a judge... ;-)

I agree. It's also a reason why I doubt I would ever let a judge do his Masters cook with me. For no other reason then they would really know my presentation and the way I turn in.

Originally posted by Scottie Johnson:
I would give them a 5. Below average. THose dark spots are burnt, unappealing. Next time try using a sharp knife and not a butter knife. You'll get cleaner cuts... Wouldn't want to eat them....

I sorta like this judging a judge... ;-)
gotta agree with 5. They do look burned ..unappealing

Back