Rib-0-Later vs rotating spit??

Lewis (bbqlew)

I need to do more ribs than I can get on a single spit. Ferris wheel style seems like good answer, but does not rotate the meat (self-basting). Does it really matter? Any body have experience with this. Also for chicken and other meats. Thanks

WEber kettle, PK Grill Org. have rotisseries.

I have not used a rotisserie for ribs in my time nor have I witnessed it myself.
I am not sure if the extra work would prove to gain any benefit......
I always lay flat but I did buy a rib rack just incase I needed to cook for a bunch.
Here are a couple pics of what they can do it might be your answer.
This first one looks like it is set up on a 22 inch kettle.....this guy is really taking advantage of the available space.
6 racks. There are many brands you can get I would assume they all work well.
I have the Weber option I believe but have no review for it yet.

1722440486498.png

1722440559134.png
1722440590300.png

I have not used a rotisserie for ribs in my time nor have I witnessed it myself.
I always lay flat but I did buy a rib rack just incase I needed to cook for a bunch.
This first one looks like it is set up on a 22 inch kettle.....this guy is really taking advantage of the available space.

View attachment 96966

View attachment 96967
View attachment 96968
I own and have used this rib rack to gain space. It works well.

I need to do more ribs than I can get on a single spit. Ferris wheel style seems like good answer, but does not rotate the meat (self-basting). Does it really matter? Any body have experience with this. Also for chicken and other meats. Thanks

WEber kettle, PK Grill Org. have rotisseries.
Once the fat starts to render, the racks will baste each other on the Rib-O Lator. If you use a rear mounted infrared burner, the tops will get some direct heat too. I really like the concept but, more often than not, I'm only doing one or 2 racks at a time. I often spin a rack over charcoal or an open wood fire and, if I want to spin 2 or 3, I can do that on my gasser. Same goes for chickens. I've got too many accessories already and won't buy any more unless they do the cleanup too. At least that's what I tell SWMBO :)

View attachment 96966

View attachment 96967
View attachment 96968
I use a Cuisinart multi-function rack that does great for ribs and a bunch of other proteins.
1722449511049.png1722449544277.png1722449589021.png

I agree, flat, rolled, since I am not a “cooked with sauce” guy, (thanks diabetes!) a good rub and time will do the job just beautifully. I don’t often need six racks but, I got these started and two big eaters dropped out! I probably could do 3 if I trimmed them down to go flat, it’s the only shortcoming I have for the 18”WSM but, I can’t justify the feeding of a 22” just to cook ribs flat. My brother gave me his 22” after making that realization for himself. For a family of four the 18 works just fine.
I have the kids over every week and the feasting for the 6 of us I usually do on the kettle but, if it’s a large crowd for pulled pork, ribs, brisket the 18 WSM is a great way to get maximum feast in a compact unit.

I know I'm late to the party, but I use rib racks to get more ribs in my 18" WSM that I picked up over the years, so I don't know the specific brands/manufacturers. I have one that is a simple bright metal finish, and one that has an porcelain finish. I find the porcelain coated rib rack much easier to clean. If you do get rib racks, I would suggest getting porcelain coated ones if you can find some.

The best way to cook ribs is laid flat , everything else is an aggravation of varying amounts. Yeah, you can make it work, but the 18 really doesn't have the real estate or kind of uniform temperature you'd really like to have to do a lot of ribs .

Another problem with the WSM is when you remove the top too much to screw around with ribs..wrapping, saucing, etc. The air that comes in can cause the temperature to spike really high. It's just really somewhat of a pain to cook ribs in.

Imo.

Last edited:
Agree with all of the above. I have been hanging ribs in 18" WSM for long time, works well but more than 2-3 makes crowding. Looking at ferris wheel type rack for the 22' kettle. It will do 4, plus two in WSM would take care of the crowd. I also rotisserie by threading on spit, and that makes the best yet, but limited to one rack. Original concern was ribs not rotating around spit (self basting). Would take a long spit to do 6 racks. General opinion seems to be it doesnt matter. Will soon find out. Thanks to all.

Agree with all of the above. I have been hanging ribs in 18" WSM for long time, works well but more than 2-3 makes crowding. Looking at ferris wheel type rack for the 22' kettle. It will do 4, plus two in WSM would take care of the crowd. I also rotisserie by threading on spit, and that makes the best yet, but limited to one rack. Original concern was ribs not rotating around spit (self basting). Would take a long spit to do 6 racks. General opinion seems to be it doesnt matter. Will soon find out. Thanks to all.
Yep! Nothing beats spinning up some ribs, especially spares. I can spin 3 slabs on my gasser in a pinch but only one on either my kettle or the open fire rotisseries. It's seldom that we have a crowd over any more so 2 slabs is about the most I do.

To each his or her own. I don't sauce or wrap ribs, just put them in racks and let them go for 5 to 7 hours at around 250F with a load of charcoal and a full water pan. That's how I did the Mothers' Day Ribs (all 12 lbs of them) a few months ago. But yes, if you are going to sauce and wrap them, rib racks or a rotisserie probably isn't going to work well, and laying ribs flat on something with more cooking area than an 18" WSM would be more appropriate.

To each his or her own. I don't sauce or wrap ribs, just put them in racks and let them go for 5 to 7 hours at around 250F with a load of charcoal and a full water pan. That's how I did the Mothers' Day Ribs (all 12 lbs of them) a few months ago. But yes, if you are going to sauce and wrap them, rib racks or a rotisserie probably isn't going to work well, and laying ribs flat on something with more cooking area than an 18" WSM would be more appropriate.
As you say, to each their own. I say, "don't knock it if you haven't tried it."
I've been cooking pork ribs for over 40 years and find that there's really no wrong way, unless you screw them up. Trust me when I tell you that rotisserie ribs are a special treat.

I experimented with rotisserie baby backs after watching a Raichlen episode sometime ago. Mine were crispy and kept their wavy (woven) shape. Is this inherent with rotisserie ribs, or if I don't prefer that texture and shape should I try again with lower heat or some other changeup?

Yeah, I tried threading them on a rotisserie myself. Not at all happy. I'm one of those I'll try a couple times and then I'm done with it. Of course when I was gas only the big Wolf could lay down a large number of racks with no issue at all and turn them out quite well. If only one rack the Genesis was perfect

As you say, to each their own. I say, "don't knock it if you haven't tried it."
I've been cooking pork ribs for over 40 years and find that there's really no wrong way, unless you screw them up. Trust me when I tell you that rotisserie ribs are a special treat.
Perhaps there's been a misunderstanding. I saw a prior post claiming that "the best way to cook ribs is laid flat , everything else is an aggravation of varying amounts...". I disagree with that statement, knowing that while some like to cook ribs flat, some like to rack them, some like rolling them, some like putting them on a rotisserie (as you indicated that you do), some like hanging them, and I've even seen someone cutting ribs into individual bones and cooking them hot and fast with a vortex on a kettle. There's also the choice of whether to sauce and/or foil during cooking, but I had observed that those options can be limited depending on the cooking method. I.e., foiling may be pretty arduous if the ribs have been put in racks, or cut into individual bones(!). There's nothing wrong with any of these methods, and the "best one" is the one that produces the best results for you and yours. Ribs, like many cuts of pork, can be prepared a variety of different ways. 🍻

Perhaps there's been a misunderstanding. I saw a prior post claiming that "the best way to cook ribs is laid flat , everything else is an aggravation of varying amounts...". I disagree with that statement, knowing that while some like to cook ribs flat, some like to rack them, some like rolling them, some like putting them on a rotisserie (as you indicated that you do), some like hanging them, and I've even seen someone cutting ribs into individual bones and cooking them hot and fast with a vortex on a kettle. There's also the choice of whether to sauce and/or foil during cooking, but I had observed that those options can be limited depending on the cooking method. I.e., foiling may be pretty arduous if the ribs have been put in racks, or cut into individual bones(!). There's nothing wrong with any of these methods, and the "best one" is the one that produces the best results for you and yours. Ribs, like many cuts of pork, can be prepared a variety of different ways. 🍻
No problem saucing ribs on a rotisserie and really no reason to wrap since they come out very moist if done right. All a matter of preference.

I experimented with rotisserie baby backs after watching a Raichlen episode sometime ago. Mine were crispy and kept their wavy (woven) shape. Is this inherent with rotisserie ribs, or if I don't prefer that texture and shape should I try again with lower heat or some other changeup?
I spritz as soon as the rub is set. Once the fat starts to render self basting keeps the surface very moist. Around 275 - 300 works well for me. On the kettle roti, I use a charcoal basket set off to one side and on the gasser only the rear infrared set to medium. They do tend to hold a bit of the ripple shape but are easy enough to hold flat to cut. Stretching them out on the spit helps a lot.

Back