Review: Dinosaur BBQ Rochester NY

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I've mentioned that I often cook from the cook book authored by the founders of this small chain of bbq restaurants (4 and counting, will buffalo be next?). This was only my second time eating at it since its an hour plus drive from my house. I thought I'd document the experience since I know at least maybe Bill Hayes might be interested in the pics.

We went on a saturday, and smartly we called ahead (no reservations allowed for parties smaller than 6) to get our name in the cue. They told us over the phone there would be a 90 min wait. By the time we found a parking place (watch out for amerk's games, dinosaur is right by the arena so we had to pay 4 bucks to park) and got to the bar we whittled 30 min off the wait.

The bar has a nice selection of beer, unfortunately I went local, like I usually do, and came up with two duds: the ape hanger ale (produced by middle ages, syracuse, ny, for the dinosaur) and rorhbach (rochester, ny) scotch ale. The ape hanger was light and fruity with not much going on, the scotch ale was about the most flavorless scotch ale I've had.

Luckily for the little one's sake (or should I say me and her mom's sake) we got our table 15 min before our 90 was up (1:15 wait for the math challenged).

we started with a favorite recipe of ours from the book: fried green tomatoes with ranch. I actually thought our (or the books) rendition was better. The tomatoes were cut thin and heavily breaded. the book recipe calls for a thicker cut and a panko crust, which lets you taste the tomato and get a slight crunch. The ranch was good, it tasted just like the stuff I made from the book, so I know I'm not too far off from what they serve.

The 5 of us decided to split up our meals family style. We ordered a pork plate, a brisket plate, and a full rack of ribs which added up to 8 sides. The pulled pork was decent. I thought the brisket was excellent, and I think they must start with well marbled beef, because it was extremely moist. I'm assuming the must start with good meat, because I can't imagine any other way, I could get the choice packers I cook to be like that (plus the sliced flat was not unlike the marbled point parts I find in my packers). I was temped to ask what they use for briskets but I figured the waitress wouldn't know or they would be coy about revealing any "magic." The ribs were probably the weakest of the three. They were extremely meaty with almost a 1/2" of meat sitting on top the bones. The fat inside of them wasn't rendered out so they tended to be kind of fatty. The bones off the smaller end, were close to the right tenderness, but the opposite end needed some help. As far as sides go: the mashed sweet 'tatos with marshmallows got good reviews, corn bread was decent, the beans were heavy with allspice (not great), and the bowl of new england clam chowder that we mistakenly got, and my wife slurp up, was good I hear.

here's a shot of the entrance:
IMG_2020.jpg

The have their large smokers outside, so you get a good look of the back of them as you walk towards the entrance. and you can really smell them over a block away.
IMG_2019.jpg

once entering, you see the grill station and the pass (a nice opportunity to window shop, if you prefer to not wait for a table at the bar).
IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

Here's our brisket plate and our full rack plus sides.
IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

sorry about the picture heavy post, but I was planning on trying to put together a slide show and I ended up having issues with photobucket and their helpful antivirus ad, so I went this route to avoid complicating things.

Nice write up jb. I agree with it all, but I don't think I've ever had their ribs, so no opinion there. But I do remember thinking the last time I went, I can make better PP, but they got me on the brisket. I really enjoyed their smoked wings for a appiteizer the last time I went.

There is always a wait like that Dave, it's best to head there with some buddies and plan to sit at the bar and suck a few up while you wait.

jb, if you ever get 'cuse way, you have to head in and check out that one, the original. Quite a different experience in my book. Foods the same, but talk about a dive!

Luckily I get to cuse and rochester each a couple times a year (SUNY Conferences), we always stay within walking distance at the Rochacha one and a 10 minute drive to the 'cuse one and usually have people in our parties that want to go.

I was talking once at the bar with one of the managers of the Rochacha one about Buffalo. I don't know where he fell in the pecking order, but he said they will never come to Buffalo. Something about there being just too many mom and pop and great resturants in Buffalo, that it would cost too much money for them to get a foot hold. I kinda disagreed with him, and told him we really don't have a lot of authentic BBQ joints, but he was more concerned and talking about the bigger picture of eats in Buffalo. Just too many excellent places so they haven't even considered it. Or so that's what i was told about a year ago.

Todd

I have been working across the street from the dino for 9 years now and i don't eat there anymore. my wife and i have had mixed results with dry brisket, ribs that were meaty and tender but way too salty. chicken was sometimes oversmoked or not smokey enough. The pulled pork platter is by far the best selection off the menu next to the smoked wings which are very expensive 6 pieces for $7.00. Waiting for a table at that place just wasn't gonna happen for us anymore. next time your in rochester you have to go to sticky lips bbq 625 culver road. way better bbq in my mind.

I agree with Todd that their Syracuse restaurant is a totally different experience than you encounter in their Rochester location. I also liked the food better in the Syracuse branch.

Todd, I saw this a month or so ago and thought it was interesting:

http://archives.buffalorising.com/story/dinosaur_stalks_buffalo

your info puts an interesting twist on it. I've been wondering where they might set up and how they would do here. I'm not sold it would be a slam dunk, however the hour plus wait both time I went in rochester despite the fact that the food didn't totally blow me away, says something about the power of their name.

I'll defend their book, there's great recipes in there.

J, I discussed this with my bbq partner after leaving the restaurant...its a whole different perspective once you start making bbq. you can spend 2 days prepping and cooking a brisket and serving it at its best, restaurants don't have that luxury. The wsm pretty much ruins any hope of enjoying a restaurant bbq meal ever again. I'll note you restaurant suggestion, we don't get to roch much, but if we're in town, I'll have to check it out.

The wife and I finally visited the Syracuse place a few weeks ago. As mentioned above: very long wait (on a Monday afternoon, no less) and the atmosphere was early biker bar, except for the clientèle, which were mostly college students and yuppies. My brisket was decent, but a bit dry. The sides were nothing special. I asked my wife how she liked her ribs. She said "Yours are better."

In the Buffalo, NY area Suzy Q's along the river (near the Tonawanda border), One Eyed Jack's in Lockport & The Brickyard in Lewiston are great places for BBQ

Nice review!

I went to a place called Bobby Q's (in Westport, CT (a few towns from me). AWESOME AWESOME BBQ. Should throw up a review but don't have the time for it at the moment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In the Buffalo, NY area Suzy Q's along the river (near the Tonawanda border), One Eyed Jack's in Lockport & The Brickyard in Lewiston are great places for BBQ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

been to all three, I'd say they're decent, but for Buffalo, I'll recommend kentucky greg's and donnie's smokehouse first.

Used to live in Rochester (Fairport actually) and frequented Dino BBQ often. I must say they are the most hit and miss place I've been to. Sometimes ribs are wonderful, other times, they are mediocre at best, same with brisket. Never had much pulled pork there, but my wife really liked the Carolina (pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw on it). Sides were okay there, but. Their beans and chili are better when you buy them from the store (mmmmm Wegman's)

A few years ago, there was a little place in Victor called "The Village Pig". The Q' there was very good. They ended up closing down soon after we moved.

Now I live in Texas and I've had my WSM for three years or so. We don't go out or barbeque anymore since I what I make at home is always good.

I'd be interested in going back in time to try The Village Pig again and see what I thought. I've gotten smarter and my tastes have evolved. I wonder if it would have been as good as I remembered.

I've done Dinosaur a few times back when we lived there. The food was good (again, it was before I did it myself), but I never thought it was "great".

I never tried Sticky Lips, but the next time I go back home, I'll have to swing by,

Back