Reverse Sear Suggestions?

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
Anyone got it down? After seeing the video that Meathead has on his site with Jamie Purvience, I've decided to give it a try. First couple of times were a fail, but I nailed it last night on a couple of strip steaks. Never in my life have I had a more tender and flavorful strip steak, and my sear wasn't bad, either. Cooked quite evenly to somewhere around medium rare, and if I can figure out how to post a pic, I will, since I got one shot with my Iphone after taking a few bites. Seeing isn't believing though when it comes to the flavor and tenderness, though.

It was kind of by accident that I was able to keep them on the grill for HALF AN HOUR, since I shut my vents back a bit too much and my lump almost died. Guess my Performer is tighter than I thought it was. I had my handy Thermapen out, and pretty much followed Meathead's recommendation of indirect and flipping at about 95*, then setting up for the sear once hitting 115*. The steaks were on my Performer for about HALF AN HOUR, and mine was the best steak to ever come off my grill.

Anyone want to share tips? I'll check back later this afternoon to share some thoughts I have about it. Ya'll have a good 'un.
Dave

Would like to say that I am an expert at reverse searing, but I am still figuring it out myself. Tri tips seem like the perfect cut for reverse searing as far as I am concerned. The smoke really enhances their flavor and low and slow makes you think you are eating prime rib. For reverse searing, I really like using fire bricks in my Performer because it allows you to build the charcoal right up next to the grate. That really makes searing much easier at the end. Only downside of using the Performer is that it is really difficult to get the temp dialed in between 225-250 where I would like it to be. It will run for hours at 275, but anything below that is tough. Other solution is to do the low and slow in the mini WSM and then transfer to a grill for searing. I obviously prefer to make a one grill option work if at all possible.

Dave, I've done many successful reverse seared steaks with pretty much the same method that you describe. I use a Guru or Maverick with the meat probe, so I don't have to keep opening the lid and poking the meat. I usually add a chunk of oak, pecan or hickory for a little smoke flavor. I like Dons idea of using the fire brick to get the coal close to the grate.

this might seem lame but it does take practice. i started reverse searing loooong ago. mostly for chicken as i hated the way the skin was coming out. reverse searing fixed that but it still took more than a few tries. i used it on tri tips as well with great results. so just practice and it will dawn on you how to make it work for you.

80E180A5-87A7-47EA-A2F5-ADAFCB8BD826-1834-0000015AF670AD92_zps4158c9cb.jpg

Well, there ya go. My first picture posted on a forum, and totally unedited.

As you can see, I had no plans on taking a pic, but after a few bites of steak bliss I thought that I needed to take one for my buddy who's always sending me pics. I showed a friend at church this morning, and he couldn't believe that I had the steak on the grill for 30 mins. without drying it out. Just wish it looked as good as it tasted and that you could see the tenderness.

They were just choice strip steaks from Sam's Club that we picked up the other day, and I simply rubbed with EVOO and Kroger's Grill Time steak seasoning straight out of the fridge. Then I stuck them in the freezer while I lit a chimney of lump on the Performer for an indirect set-up.

Thanks for checking my thread and pic out, and I appreciate any help!
Dave

Last edited:
...For reverse searing, I really like using fire bricks in my Performer because it allows you to build the charcoal right up next to the grate. That really makes searing much easier at the end...

Don, I saw where Meathead suggested raising the coals up, but one of the main issues I have, flare-ups, is then further exacerbated.

Congrats on your first pic, and a great looking steak Dave!
Strips, for me, are one of the hardest to get right.

Some folks don't like 'em, but I love the Weber char-baskets.
And I also have the Weber System grate, with the removable center section.

I often fire up one or two baskets, depending on the number of steaks I'm cooking.
Keep the meat away from the heat, add a little wood for smoke, and bottom vents somewhat closed until ready to sear.
Then wide open, move the baskets to the center, drop the center part down to their tops, and sear away.
I've also stacked one basket on top of another to get the coals close to the grate.

I'll sometimes pull the steaks off, while I prepare a hot sear set up.

Thanks a bunch, Bob.

Yes sir, I like the charcoal baskets, as well, and light them over my Performer burner, but I think I've only used them with Kingsford. I guess I could use them with lump, though if I break down the pieces, some. The thing I like about lump is that it's more responsive to vent changes, lending itself to be great for reverse sears.

Anyhow though, the biggest problem I have, other than times/temp tracking of multiple steaks, is the dang flare-ups, and won't raising the charcoal up closer just make my sears get more char? On a related note, meathead said something on his site about saving the ground black pepper until doing the sear to prevent pepper oils from becoming bitter.

Thanks, again for the input!

For my next steak cook I want to try doing caveman style but, reverse seared. My only attempt at caveman steaks resulted in a good crust but, not much flavor penetration. Hoping that reverse searing first will get the flavor I'm looking for.

To be honest, I thought that all the reverse-sear hype was just that, and simply a convenient way for folks using ceramic grills to grill their meat without having to wait on their oven, I mean grill, to preheat. I was wrong, though. Dead wrong.

For my next steak cook I want to try doing caveman style but, reverse seared. My only attempt at caveman steaks resulted in a good crust but, not much flavor penetration. Hoping that reverse searing first will get the flavor I'm looking for.

Welton, never tried directly on coals, but I don't know why you couldn't. All I know is that the low temp cooking prior to searing really makes a great steak if you do it right.

this might seem lame but it does take practice. i started reverse searing loooong ago. mostly for chicken as i hated the way the skin was coming out. reverse searing fixed that but it still took more than a few tries. i used it on tri tips as well with great results. so just practice and it will dawn on you how to make it work for you.

Thanks, George. Reminds me, I need to see if we still have any tri tips in the freezer.

Dave - I'd say you pretty much have it covered. My set-up involves 2-3 firebricks to divide my kettle evenly and concentrate the heat, but otherwise it's sort of a feel thing. I used to temp the meat a lot more when I started doing it, but now I try to give them as long as possible on the cold side and then move to the hot side when they're starting to firm up beyond raw. We eat ours rare, so YMMV.

The two greatest things I've learned on this site are the reverse sear and getting meat out to warm up 1-2 hours early and salting then. My wife and I haven't considered ordering steak in a restaurant for years.

Jon, thanks for the suggestions. I rarely use my firebricks, but they seem like a good idea, especially if I can wait and put them in quickly (cold) to absorb heat after I get the fire down low.

As for when to get steaks out, I think that letting them sit out at room temp for a an hour or more is the way to go if you're gonna grill directly and quickly. I've been trying to do that for a while now. However, per the RS instructions I got off of the amazingribs site, I tried grilling the steaks cold the other day and whether it helped or not, well, let's say it sure didn't hurt. Gotta remember though, they were on the grill for about half an hour, and that's a lot different that quickly putting the heat to them.

The research I've done on salting suggests dry brining is the way to go if you can, one source suggesting 40 minutes at a minimum and up to even four days if memory serves. I've been dry brining poultry for years now, so I'm not surprised it's good for steaks as well. The main source I was reading about dry brining steaks claimed that if you didn't have at least 40 minutes to salt ahead of time, that it was better to just salt right before grilling so that the surface would be still dry for searing.

Tried the RS on chops?

Dave, that pic look great in my book. 3100 post any you have never posted a pic here :) Looks like you have both down. I find I do just what you did. I not a huge fan of the char so if I don't quite qet that in the sear, I am ok with that.

Nice looking steak, looks great. I always let mine sit at least an hour before searing. Learned some new things here.

Wonder if Weber will ever offer an adjustable grate on a future model? Seems like that would make things more convenient and even sale more grills. Just curious.

Thanks, Neil. The taste was head and shoulders over what I've been getting.

It might not look like too much of a sear, but the sear flavor was fantastic, as well as the remarkable flavor and tenderness on the inside. I've never had a steak of that size on my grill for half an hour, though, so I guess I didn't know what I was missing. As to raising the grate up, I find that if I get the fire too close to the steak I risk some bitterness from charring, especially with ribeyes since they're even more prone to flare-ups. Anyhow, I assume the reason Weber won't make an adjustable grate is the shape of the kettle bowl, and they'd probably suggest try searing over the charcoal baskets if you want to be closer to the coals. Bottom line though, like dry brining, folks that haven't gotten the temp down low enough to do a decent reverse sear are just like I was. They just don't know what they're missing.

Back