Reverse sear NY strip steaks

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Reverse seared on cast iron. Looked good, tasted good, but got somewhat dry as I continued to eat. Maybe due to only USDA Choice and languished at the bottom of the freezer for a year? I thought I rested them long enough, but maybe not. I'm seeing lots of juices in that photo of the pan and that's before anything got cut...just exuding juices for some reason during the rest.

IMG_3590.jpeg

IMG_3591.jpeg

IMG_3592.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve come to enjoy smoking a frozen NY steak till it hits 90° or so and then flips sear to develop crust. Pull temp of 127° is my target and then rest them tented for 10 minutes before serving.

If you’re cooking, then I’m eating. Those look fine to me.

They look great from here, they are a lean cut and with low fat the moisture will leave them dry sometimes, I don't think it was the storage or cooking issue. It's rare I see well marbled strip steaks but when I do I always wonder how the rancher was able to produce this and why it is hard to achieve regularly.

Old freezer steaks aren't the tastiest in my experience no matter how you cook em. They do look perfectly cooked though.

I’ve come to enjoy smoking a frozen NY steak till it hits 90° or so and then flips sear to develop crust. Pull temp of 127° is my target and then rest them tented for 10 minutes before serving.

Wait, you smoke them frozen? Normally I would not do something like that. But I came around to smoking meat direcrly from the fridge...

Looks good to me, I try to use a 6 month rule on frozen meats that will hit the BBQ.
Some HP Steak sauce to the rescue :)

Old freezer steaks aren't the tastiest in my experience no matter how you cook em. They do look perfectly cooked though.

Wait, you smoke them frozen? Normally I would not do something like that. But I came around to smoking meat direcrly from the fridge...
Yessir.

When I butcher my steaks, I cling wrap each steak to help avoid freezer burn.

This way I can unwrap one or two steaks and put them on the smoker to smoke and defrost at the same time.

Frozen steaks will take longer to smoke than a non frozen steak. But low and slow for smoke doesn’t matter as you’re heating the steak through and the frozen part keeps it moist as there’s no direct heat to draw moisture out of the steak.

I vacuum seal all of my steaks when I put them in the freezer & I never have a problem. Wild Fork Food's whole business model is predicated on frozen items & I rave about their products. Plenty of members here say the same thing about WFF.

Back