Reverse sear for prime rib

Tammy Truher

I want to reverse sear a prime rib with bones tied underneath, grilled on indirect heat. When I raise the temp as high a it will go and put it back on the grill, do I put it bone or fat side down? And is the lid up or down? I'm not sure I understand how it would make a crust if it's bone side down with lids up but I can't find anything that specifies either of these.

In case it matters, I have a Weber Genesis 2.

So an older "true" Genesis or the newer one with front burner knobs. I can tell ya on the older style one I would definitely NOT take the heat to full max. You will have pretty instant incineration and it will end up tasting more like a biblical burnt offering. Just use the front and rear burners. If you want to crank them a bit that is fine. But maybe only up to about medium. It will get plenty hot to give you all the sear you could want. Did may of them on the one I had. And if it is the older original Genesis try doing yourself a HUGE favor and do it with the rotisserie. Spinning is kind of a waste of time on the newer style one. But, the old ones were "da bomb" for that

Bone side down, lid closed. imho, it's best to pull the roast at 110 internal, crank up the heat to 450 (give or take) and sear it to 125 for medium rare, 130 for medium

ymmv

Like Chuck said, cook till 110° and then crank the heat. For searing, I like the lid open and moving the protein onto its different sides. This is an active cook, meaning you’re working the sear and you’re turning and moving the roast to set an even sear.

I would not walk away from it as you can quickly ruin a $100 piece of meat.

The flip flip flip flip and move method and actively working the cook/sear will ensure an even sear and not creating a burnt offering as described above.

This is how I sear my lamb racks as they can easily burn.

So an older "true" Genesis or the newer one with front burner knobs. I can tell ya on the older style one I would definitely NOT take the heat to full max. You will have pretty instant incineration and it will end up tasting more like a biblical burnt offering. Just use the front and rear burners. If you want to crank them a bit that is fine. But maybe only up to about medium. It will get plenty hot to give you all the sear you could want. Did may of them on the one I had. And if it is the older original Genesis try doing yourself a HUGE favor and do it with the rotisserie. Spinning is kind of a waste of time on the newer style one. But, the old ones were "da bomb" for that
I bought it in 2019. It has 3 burners plus a searing burner (but I've never actually used it. I don't know how it's different than the other burners at highest heat.) It has the smart thermometer and connects to the Weber app.

Like Chuck said, cook till 110° and then crank the heat. For searing, I like the lid open and moving the protein onto its different sides. This is an active cook, meaning you’re working the sear and you’re turning and moving the roast to set an even sear.

I would not walk away from it as you can quickly ruin a $100 piece of meat.

The flip flip flip flip and move method and actively working the cook/sear will ensure an even sear and not creating a burnt offering as described above.

This is how I sear my lamb racks as they can easily burn.
Yesterday I pulled it at 118 and let it rest for 10-15 mins, then cranked up the temp. I made the mistake of walking away but checked on it to see it on fire. There was still pink in the middle so I guess it wasn't too late. Almost too late. The bones were pretty black but the top wasn't charcoal. There was still pink in the middle but there was also a very thin gray layer around the top. Is that middle burner that makes it indirect heat while cooking supposed to be on for the sear? Or leave it off?

Yesterday I pulled it at 118 and let it rest for 10-15 mins, then cranked up the temp. I made the mistake of walking away but checked on it to see it on fire. There was still pink in the middle so I guess it wasn't too late. Almost too late. The bones were pretty black but the top wasn't charcoal. There was still pink in the middle but there was also a very thin gray layer around the top. Is that middle burner that makes it indirect heat while cooking supposed to be on for the sear? Or leave it off?
Indirect means no fire directly below the protein. Basically, you’re using ambient air and convection to raise the protein’s internal temp.

Direct means cooking over a direct flame. Direct always requires attention or you can create charcoal really quickly. You can do low temp direct and high temp direct. All depends what you’re doing and what you’re seeking.

I don’t gas cook anymore. But I did so for 25 years or so. I’m back to charcoal only these days. I’m regressing to caveman status.

Post any additional questions you might have. Plenty of people will share their knowledge and know how. This is the best food forum I’ve ever been a part of. Very helpful and knowledgeable user base here.

I bought it in 2019. It has 3 burners plus a searing burner (but I've never actually used it. I don't know how it's different than the other burners at highest heat.) It has the smart thermometer and connects to the Weber app.
Just use the outer burners, as noted keep it moving and while the Genesis grills CAN put out fearsome heat don't be tempted to use it. That stuff is all for bragging rights. Use the 2 outer burners, keep the heat about 450 or so. Remember the Maillard reaction (or what some call the "sear" or browning, takes place at 300F. Go gently. Your guests will not comment badly if the crust is not enough but if it tastes like an offering from the old Testament they WILL remember it badly.

Indirect means no fire directly below the protein. Basically, you’re using ambient air and convection to raise the protein’s internal temp.

Direct means cooking over a direct flame. Direct always requires attention or you can create charcoal really quickly. You can do low temp direct and high temp direct. All depends what you’re doing and what you’re seeking.

I don’t gas cook anymore. But I did so for 25 years or so. I’m back to charcoal only these days. I’m regressing to caveman status.

Post any additional questions you might have. Plenty of people will share their knowledge and know how. This is the best food forum I’ve ever been a part of. Very helpful and knowledgeable user base here.
Thank you! Just to confirm, is the reverse sear part of the cook on direct or indirect?

Just use the outer burners, as noted keep it moving and while the Genesis grills CAN put out fearsome heat don't be tempted to use it. That stuff is all for bragging rights. Use the 2 outer burners, keep the heat about 450 or so. Remember the Maillard reaction (or what some call the "sear" or browning, takes place at 300F. Go gently. Your guests will not comment badly if the crust is not enough but if it tastes like an offering from the old Testament they WILL remember it badly.
Noted. I've never heard anyone say 450 so I'll try that next time. 450, indirect, flipping frequently. Since it will have rested already, about how long should the searing last?

Noted. I've never heard anyone say 450 so I'll try that next time. 450, indirect, flipping frequently. Since it will have rested already, about how long should the searing last?
I am a little at a loss there for ya. Here is why. I don't typically do it quite like that when I use a gas grill. I will roast it slowly until about 120. Honestly I think rib roast benefits from a little longer cook and a little more doneness to help break down and render some of the connective tissue in it due to it's proximity to the chuck. So when I do them I tend to go more toward a finished temp of 130-135 as I think they just "eat better" when there is that little bit more. They get more tender, plus I'm doing them slower than most people do. I'll then pull and cover (very well). Here, I am fastidious. First wrap is butcher paper, then foil then a towel. Once grill is stable (whatever grill whether pellet or gas) from that low "longer" cook to a nice stable 375-400. it's unwrapped and put back in for however long I need to the 130 then rested again until serving. This would depend on the size of the roast. Smaller roast I will finish at higher temp and a larger roast a lower temp. In any case I want the grill to be stable for a bit (at least a good 15-20 minutes before the roast goes back in.
Anyway My cook methods differ a lot from many of our contemporaries on this board. I really dislike that super high searing heat char on a nice piece of beef as then all I taste is "carbon". I like a good crust, but not into the char thing.
So when I am doing beef (steak, roasts or any cut to eat rare to mid rare), I eschew that high heat. I am shooting for a nice crust (Maillard reaction on the outside) but also edge to edge pink. I don't want to see or taste carbon or carbonized meat.
To me all the talk about "my grill can do 700 deg or 900 deg is all "locker room" stuff. It's not always how hot you make it, it's how you use the hot you got :D

Thank you! Just to confirm, is the reverse sear part of the cook on direct or indirect?
A reverse sear is searing after you’ve cooked the protein, thus the name reverse. Many people here like to do a reverse sear.

So you’ll start indirect to get to less than serving temperature and then sear the protein at the end to develop the crust and then rest and serve the protein.

I personally prefer an upfront sear where I sear at the beginning which allows for very high heat without the ability to overshoot the “done” final temp. Then I’ll move the protein to indirect to reach final temp.

So you’ll cook indirect to less than done and then reverse sear to create the sear to get to final done temp.

I am a little at a loss there for ya. Here is why. I don't typically do it quite like that when I use a gas grill. I will roast it slowly until about 120. Honestly I think rib roast benefits from a little longer cook and a little more doneness to help break down and render some of the connective tissue in it due to it's proximity to the chuck. So when I do them I tend to go more toward a finished temp of 130-135 as I think they just "eat better" when there is that little bit more. They get more tender, plus I'm doing them slower than most people do. I'll then pull and cover (very well). Here, I am fastidious. First wrap is butcher paper, then foil then a towel. Once grill is stable (whatever grill whether pellet or gas) from that low "longer" cook to a nice stable 375-400. it's unwrapped and put back in for however long I need to the 130 then rested again until serving. This would depend on the size of the roast. Smaller roast I will finish at higher temp and a larger roast a lower temp. In any case I want the grill to be stable for a bit (at least a good 15-20 minutes before the roast goes back in.
Anyway My cook methods differ a lot from many of our contemporaries on this board. I really dislike that super high searing heat char on a nice piece of beef as then all I taste is "carbon". I like a good crust, but not into the char thing.
So when I am doing beef (steak, roasts or any cut to eat rare to mid rare), I eschew that high heat. I am shooting for a nice crust (Maillard reaction on the outside) but also edge to edge pink. I don't want to see or taste carbon or carbonized meat.
To me all the talk about "my grill can do 700 deg or 900 deg is all "locker room" stuff. It's not always how hot you make it, it's how you use the hot you got :D
Crust doesn’t equal charbon. Crust is before the carbon happens. If you go too far, then it’s carbon. But I get your point.

I did a Reverse sear on my usda prime grade prime rib two nights ago. Three bones. Put it in the oven at 4 PM. On a rack, elevated up and above the sides of the pan. Bones down (i.e. standing rib roast). 225 F. It was a 5.65 lb standing ribeye roast. Left the bones on. Tied up with butcher's twine. Dry brined it two days before. I forgot to bring it to "room temp" so it only sat on the counter for ten minutes. Placed in oven. IT was 38.9 degrees.

Roughly three hours later, I pulled it at exactly 110 F. Doubled check it with instant read. It was 110 confirmed. Let it rest on the open kitchen counter, no foil tent, nothing. My plan was to let it rest 45 mins open air. Maybe an hour at most. Depending on my wife getting the mashed potatoes and gravy ready.

I was thinking the temp would rise to roughly 123 or so. Then I would sear it at 500 F Temp would rise to 129 or so. Then I would rest it another ten mins. That was the plan.

Pulling at 110 seemed awfully low though. I was mildly concerned that the temp would not carry over to at least 120 - especially after cooking it at only 225. If it peaked at 119, that would be a problem. But I was committed to trying this.

As it turned out, the temp rose all the way to 126.7 F while resting on the counter with no foil!

But my wife wasn't ready yet. Not even after an hour of resting.

Time ticks by. The IT started dropping.

Finally after an hour and 45 mins of resting, I was permitted to sear it. IT had dropped all the way down to 123.

I seared it at 500 F oven for exactly ten minutes.

Nice sear as expected. I did not look at the IT after searing it.

I skipped the final rest.

Removed the bone. It was very easy. The meat had pulled away at the bone tip just a bit, maybe a half inch. So I just grabbed the tip of the bone with the fingers of my gloved hand, lifted the entire roast up, and sliced down using a boning knife following along the bone. Amazingly easy. The glove is the trick that makes it so easy.

Wife wanted some juice for the gravy but there was zero juice. Just rendered fat from the cap.

Sliced it. Still no juice! All the juice was in the meat! Served on pre-heated dinner plates. Of course.

Perfect degree of rareness. And oh so tender. A little grey in the spinalis which is kind of typical.

Warm cherry pie from scratch for dessert - with Breyers vanilla ice cream.

Attachments

• IMG_3872.jpg
    IMG_3872.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3874.jpg
    IMG_3874.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 16
And as Mark did, that is perfect. 500 deg oven cooks a WHOLE lot different than a 500 deg grill as well. Unless it's a pellet grill then it's another story entirely. I have no worries booting temps to 450 and above in my oven or pellet grill. (though I find it a little over kill). But sticking a large marbled piece of protein into a 500 deg grill is way overkill and IMO totally unnecessary.

And as Mark did, that is perfect. 500 deg oven cooks a WHOLE lot different than a 500 deg grill as well. Unless it's a pellet grill then it's another story entirely. I have no worries booting temps to 450 and above in my oven or pellet grill. (though I find it a little over kill). But sticking a large marbled piece of protein into a 500 deg grill is way overkill and IMO totally unnecessary.
So you wouldn't do the reverse sear then, if it's on the grill? Our oven is wonky and unpredictable and uneven, so the grill is my only option.

So you wouldn't do the reverse sear then, if it's on the grill? Our oven is wonky and unpredictable and uneven, so the grill is my only option.
I guess it all depends on your definition of "sear". It's still a sear in my book as even in a hot oven (or a hot 375-425) it will develop the "crust" or the Maillard reaction. And look, I'm just telling you how I would treat a $100+ piece of meat. Nothing more. And after falling for the "oh you gotta have it rocket fuel hot thing and ruining a couple of what could have been wonderful dinners, I have stopped falling for that "stuff". Since then, I have not ruined or had a bad tasting roast in many years UNLESS I had been distracted by kids (easy to do with toddlers under foot at times though I would rather have them helping ruin something than not have them :D) or some type of other "issue" going on.
Your grill is easy enough to use just like a "hot oven" which is how I use(d) my gas grill(s). (I only have one "real" gas grill now being my Wolf as my Genesis went to the big cookout in the sky.
I know my brother is one who likes to do the really high heat thing on his prime ribs and he just swears by it. But, quite honestly I dread eating his rib roasts as all I taste is "sear" (or IMHO "carbon") for days afterwards.
I pay too much for beef to do that to it and being retired it's fixed income for us. I work very hard to develop a nice "crust" on it, with an edge to edge medium rare, and only the taste of good beef and some smoke. I don't add garlic, or other strong flavors either. Just good ol S&P.
And, it's advice based on my opinion of a good roast. Yours may vary. So, take my tips or don't. We'll still be friends.

I guess it all depends on your definition of "sear". It's still a sear in my book as even in a hot oven (or a hot 375-425) it will develop the "crust" or the Maillard reaction. And look, I'm just telling you how I would treat a $100+ piece of meat. Nothing more. And after falling for the "oh you gotta have it rocket fuel hot thing and ruining a couple of what could have been wonderful dinners, I have stopped falling for that "stuff". Since then, I have not ruined or had a bad tasting roast in many years UNLESS I had been distracted by kids (easy to do with toddlers under foot at times though I would rather have them helping ruin something than not have them :D) or some type of other "issue" going on.
Your grill is easy enough to use just like a "hot oven" which is how I use(d) my gas grill(s). (I only have one "real" gas grill now being my Wolf as my Genesis went to the big cookout in the sky.
I know my brother is one who likes to do the really high heat thing on his prime ribs and he just swears by it. But, quite honestly I dread eating his rib roasts as all I taste is "sear" (or IMHO "carbon") for days afterwards.
I pay too much for beef to do that to it and being retired it's fixed income for us. I work very hard to develop a nice "crust" on it, with an edge to edge medium rare, and only the taste of good beef and some smoke. I don't add garlic, or other strong flavors either. Just good ol S&P.
And, it's advice based on my opinion of a good roast. Yours may vary. So, take my tips or don't. We'll still be friends.
I'll take any and all of your great advice! I hope you (and all the others) don't see my questions as challenges to what you are saying. I'm relatively new to grilling and am trying to step up my game. I especially get thrown by the things I don't find mentioned anywhere, like what side goes down on a sear (of any temp) or is the lid up or down. Part of it is I just need more experience, but as you say, the $100+ piece of meat is risky to experiment on so I'm gathering all the info I can. Thanks!!

I'll take any and all of your great advice! I hope you (and all the others) don't see my questions as challenges to what you are saying. I'm relatively new to grilling and am trying to step up my game. I especially get thrown by the things I don't find mentioned anywhere, like what side goes down on a sear (of any temp) or is the lid up or down. Part of it is I just need more experience, but as you say, the $100+ piece of meat is risky to experiment on so I'm gathering all the info I can. Thanks!!
Oh, you're VERY welcome. On a very nice piece of beef like that, I think it's best to go as easy as possible, and with simple flavorings. You can then build from there. Maybe you want a little Thyme on it as well as S&P or a hint of garlic, etc. (and in all honestly I will sometimes use a little (a VERY little) thyme so it's just the faintest "hint" on there. Oddly I quit using garlic a long time ago on my roasts (unless I am making Italian beef), as it seems as much as I LOVE garlic it just "takes over" the beef and I lose the beef goodness. (don't tell anyone I cheat a little and use thyme occasionally though) It would ruin my reputation. Has to be our secret :D

Back