Reverse Sear Boneless Chuck Roast

Andrew IBSP

TVWBB Fan
Saw some boneless chuck roasts at Whole Foods on sale for about $3.50/lb so I figured, why not? I’ll do a reverse sear: indirect to 120 internal then sear.

big flavors and still pretty tender!
4BC74274-C88F-457D-870B-FDA2B482BAEA.jpeg
ABEBF281-3667-4DFB-A082-DDA4986FEFFF.jpeg

Attachments

• 8824972E-F708-4D85-97C0-11DEF0451B09.jpeg
    8824972E-F708-4D85-97C0-11DEF0451B09.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Dang...that's just beautiful.

Go back to the store and see if they have any really thick chuck roasts that could be horizontally split into steaks!

Holy crap is that a great looking cook! I have saved this post, I am going to look for a similar piece of meat when I go to the store. How did you prep it?

Holy crap is that a great looking cook! I have saved this post, I am going to look for a similar piece of meat when I go to the store. How did you prep it?
Thanks!
Kept it very simple: light coating of oil, liberal amount of salt and pepper, I let it come up to room temperature and had it indirect around 230 degrees until 120 internal, then I just seared the hell out of it until it looked proper.

Thanks!
Kept it very simple: light coating of oil, liberal amount of salt and pepper, I let it come up to room temperature and had it indirect around 230 degrees until 120 internal, then I just seared the hell out of it until it looked proper.
OK, next stupid question did you on it on the kettle, WSM, of both? How did you keep it nice and low for indirect at 230, but then get the charcoal hot for the reverse sear? I have always used the WSM for jobs like that, but am thinking about trying to do it on the kettle.

OK, next stupid question did you on it on the kettle, WSM, of both? How did you keep it nice and low for indirect at 230, but then get the charcoal hot for the reverse sear? I have always used the WSM for jobs like that, but am thinking about trying to do it on the kettle.
I actually did this all on the E-435. Very easy to dial it in to hold 230, pulled it off and got the sear station blazing hot to finish.

Back