Reverse Minion problem?

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I finished a great tri tip and wanted to immediately transition into a butt. I put a large quantity of unlit charcoal onto the previously lit coals. Will this cause a faster burn (going from bottom up)? My butt is on now, I guess I could clean up and start over. Currently the temps look good.
icon_confused.gif

Heat rises! You may be able to get control if you pretty much shut your vents now and monitor the temps. Slightly reopen 1 or 2 just a bit once the temp gets back where you like it. Be carefull if you close the top vent too ~ A prolonged period without venting may cause a bitter result.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Bill

The more I think about it, it might be better to clean up and start over. This condition will probably require constant monitoring through the night..
icon_frown.gif

I wouldn't start over. I don't think you have a problem holding temps stable. You might run out sooner than you want to because you don't really know how much fuel you have (compared to starting with a full ring). But the result of running out of fuel wouldn't be any worse than the work involved in starting over and you might just get away with it. I'd risk it unless you're determined to get a good night's sleep. Myself, I don't usually sleep that well anyway when I'm doing an overnight, so I wouldn't care.

Oh well, I've started over; only lost some charcoal. Back to a normal Minion. Jerry, that's what I was really concerned about; a good night's sleep. You're right, I'll probably be up anyway, but this is just insurance I guess... Now I know I'll have good pulled pork tomorrow - the normal way!

It never hurts to do things the right way. More stability and predictability - it's what you're use to so things go better. Good cooking tonight. I'm grilling tomorrow, so I'll be sleeping fine tonight.

I hear that. Besides, I'm sitting outside right now with a stogie and it's 65*! Things could be worse!! Good cooking to you Jerry!

I would have just filled her back up. Done several rib cooks during the day Saturday, then just filled her back up and put butts on for Sunday with no problems.
I don't think it's to much different when after 10-12 hours of burning royal oak, I have to put more in to get a long cook done, (I never get longer than 12 hours on R.O.) and I just fill it up again because I don't worry about reusing fuel.

This is a late post, but I've used the reversed Minion method with the classic Kingsford for my last 4-5 cooks and found it to be more stabile and reliable than the standard M method. Of course, you have to be ready to assemble your WSM right after you put the coals on top.

Maybe i'm missing something here but how is this any different then refilling the charcoal ring/bowl during a long cook.
icon_confused.gif
It's all about vent controll. Makes no difference wether the lit coals are ontop or on the bottom. IMO
icon_wink.gif

It could make quite a bit of difference in the taste. The Minion works well because the layer of coals on top start the coals below them. The freshly started coals give up smoke that has not burning clean until it goes through the hot zone on top. If you start from the bottom and have some wood in the coals, the lower coals start cumbustion of the coals above and they can give off a bitter taste because the smoke is not being "cleaned" by going through the hot zone.
A bullet cooking at 250 has a fire ring that is above 400 degrees. Everything is fine. You can add charcoal or wood. It's when you get down to cooking at below 220 or so that you need to be careful of how your fire is burning because the fire ring temp may only be around 300 deg. Not hot enough to burn charcoal or wood cleanly. So if you add fuel to a cooler fire, it may add a bit of nastiness to the meat. At least, that's my theory.
db

Back