Restoring Weber Genesis Silver B

CLattin

The grill was a curb pickup and is great functional shape. I've got it all disassembled and have the firebox all cleaned up and degreased and ready to paint.

Couple of paint questions......I know Rustoleum high heat ULTRA is recommended for the firebox and lid ends but I'd like to paint the lid a nice Weber Red or Green or maybe Blue. Can I use VHT High Temp Brake Caliper paint? The Rustoleum product doesn't come in different colors that I can find other than black and gray.

Thank you!
Chris

IMG_3639.jpg

Sure, you can paint the lid, but it will soon scratch and ding and any type of scrubbing will soon wear it down to the black porcelain. It is basically the same as paint on glass. If you want a different colored lid, find a grill with a lid the color you want and swap lids. The lids that will fit that grill were basically all lids manufactured for the Genesis three burner grills from 1985 to 2005. So, there are LOT of them out there and the colors other than black usually hold up very well.

I've noticed that the Black Lid from these models seem to be impervious, or at least far more resistant to the Weber Fade that affects the newer Spirit II (etc.) Black Lids.
That degreaser + steel wool trick gives them an incredible shine.

Yeah, you might be surprised how sharp a black grill can look with its porcelain hood all cleaned and buffed out! I agree that your black hood appears better than many, so you do have something to work with. And you can do as Bruce recommends and keep an eye out for a lid in a color you prefer.

Welcome to the forum Chris! Get yourself some 000 or 0000 fine steel wool and a bottle of simple green. You will be amazed at how much nicer your lid and other parts look after cleaning them this way. You can also use a razor blade scraper on the inside of the lid to get rid of all the carbon build up in there. As suggested above, painting the lid is not going to give you a desired result. If you really dislike the black lid after you clean it up, just look for another grill to get a different one. Good luck and post pictures of your results.

Welcome Chris,

I'll agree with the rest. The black lids do clean up nice. Here's a pic of one of mine for a little inspiration. I didn't spend a ton of time on it but a little elbow grease, simple green and 0000 steel wool does wonders for the lid.

Another plus for black is when ( I said when, not if ) you collect another weber, the black and grey will likely match another weber well. .

20221108_160801.jpg

Thank you SO MUCH for all the great advice and suggestions!!

I REALLY wish I had posted my questions BEOFRE I got after everything with a wire cup on my angle grinder! Needless to say, I'm now gonna NEED to paint the lid.....ugh! Got my cart in front of the horse! Guess I'm just gonna have to touch it up every couple of years now!

Thanks again! I'll post pics of the final product when it's completed! I've got the firebox and side pieces all cleaned up and repainted with the Rustoleum Ultra. I couldn't seem to find it in flat black, just a semi gloss type finish. I don't even see it flat black on their website. I think the semi gloss will look ok although I think flat would have been better!

Chris

I have not, but I don't think it would be a problem. The regular would probably be a lot like using primer under paint. They are both rated for high heat.

I REALLY wish I had posted my questions BEOFRE I got after everything with a wire cup on my angle grinder! Needless to say, I'm now gonna NEED to paint the lid.....ugh!

I wouldn't bother. Just use the lid as is while you look for a new one from a donor grill on FBM or CL. They are cheap and plentiful and many models (other than the Silver B) are inter-changeable. And you can get them in red. black, blue, green. I just looked at Detroit Craigslist and there four on there right now.

And they clean up amazing with 0000 steel wool and a razor scraper. I took 20 years of grease off my mica green lid and it literally looks like new.

So I finished it all up. Should be a perfect grill for my sister. I put several coats of high temp clear matte finish on the lid over the red to hopefully protect the red paint a little better. Thank you again for all the advice and suggestions!

Chris

1D235A38-A2E7-49CE-9393-C62C01A2AC7A.jpeg

So I finished it all up. Should be a perfect grill for my sister. I put several coats of high temp clear matte finish on the lid over the red to hopefully protect the red paint a little better. Thank you again for all the advice and suggestions!

Chris

View attachment 62770
Looks nice but you can bury it in clear. Nothing will keep it from coming off as it's only as strong as the bond of the first layer which as you know is on "glass" not metal

The paint on the lid is not PAINT. It is ceramic coating. It will not hold paint or clear coat well. At this point, you can leave it on as is, but it likely will not look good a year from now. If you care to, you can strip it back off with some paint thinner. The ceramic coating on the lid is about as durable of a coating that you will find. Aside from cracks and chips, it is extremely resistant to damage. Painting lids is a very short term solution. If the lid is already in rough shape, then finding a replacement off of another 1985 to 2006 Genesis grill is your best bet. There are hundreds of thousands of them still out there and even many of the 40 year old ones will look virtually new after a half hour of cleaning with some #0000 steel wool and a good cleaner like Simple Green.

While it was an unfortunate mistake, keep in mind that Chris had already used a grinder/cup brush and ground down the porcelain on the outside. So, really, he is just painting steel at this point. It probably won't last a super long time, but if should survive a lot better than paint over porcelain.

I can't imagine a cup brush could actually get the porcelain off. Might have "etched" it a little so maybe it will stick a little more than not but still will pretty much come off.

Yeah, it is hard to say for sure how the paint will adhere. Not likely for an extended amount of time. A donor lid will be the best long-term solution.

Just keep your eyes open. They are out there, Chris! Red shouldn't be all that hard, and if you would rather have blue or green, you can eventually find one of those.

Back