Restoring my Weber Genesis 1000

TylerHonschopp

Going to be restoring this weber genesis over the next couple of weeks to keep me occupied while I'm self quarantined at home.

Next steps will be degreasing everything and seeing what needs paint and what doesn't. Thinking I'll just be painting the firebox and lid if I can get restore the frame well enough with a good scrub down.

I would also like to keep the original wood slats if possible, does anyone have any rec's for restoring weathered wood like this? Is it possible? Maybe a light sand and re-stain? Or just cleaning it up with some degreaser and applying some danish oil perhaps?

I'll keep you guys posted with more pics as I progress!

IMG_20200325_181856350.jpg
IMG_20200325_181637732.jpg

That grill looks like an excellent rehab candidate. The wood looks to me like it is good enough condition to simply sand and refinish. Usually on those grills the wood is too far gone. I notice that grill has the slide for the swing shelf which I didn't think Weber introduced until the Durawood grills. But overall, that grill looks in really good shape for a 25+ year old grill. Good luck with the restore and keep us posted on your progress.

Back