Restoring a Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyMac

I'm beginning to restore a 90s era Performer. The cleaning system assembly is completely rusted (the blades just fell off) and I can't figure out how to remove it. Any ideas?

Danny-

Mine appears to be held on by a nut underneath the kettle. If you haven't already, you can take a look at the Performer manual here:

Pre-2000 Performer w/Touch 'n' Go

You should be able to just reverse the installation instructions, and also refer to the parts list for what you need when you call Weber for replacements.

R

Thanks Rich. It looks like I have the 92-94 model which has an ash catcher support bar. The catcher handle won't even budge it's so rusted.

Danny, I just underwent the same process, but probably not like more handy persons on this site would do. Still, I'll tell you what I did.

My one touch had two broken blades and all the parts were pretty rusted. I broke off the support bar underneath the kettle without damaging the ring that holds up the ash tray. Then I used a hack saw to cut off the handle that moves the blades; I had to cut it off on both sides of the center pole that connects the blades to the handle so the pole would slide up through the kettle, releasing the blades. I had a new one touch system so I put the blades together on the new nut/pole, put it down through the kettle hole, inserted the new handle and hand tightened the bolt that holds the handle secure. I had a new ash tray holder ring, but it does not work on the older performers, so I used the old one. To hold it on to the performer I went to lowes and purchased some heavy duty picture hanging wire, braided and pretty thick, and threaded the wire through the hole created where the performer "legs" are welded to the kettle. Each "leg" has a gap at the top and I threaded the wire through that hole and then the holes on the ring on either side of the "leg". I did this a few times to get a really firm hold, tightened it up, tied it off, and repeated the procedure at each "leg". Now, the new one touch works like new, the ash can holds solid and releases easy, and this performer is great.

By the way, I bought this red performer last fall one Saturday afternoon from two ladies selling it to go gas. It is stainless, in great shape generally for an old, well used grill, came with everything from the box, including manual, match holder, cage charcoal holders, and a 5 gallon gas tank that is already opd. They even threw in two large bags of blue Kingsford! All for $50! I hated to retire my blue master touch, but this performer rocks. Good luck with your renovation.

Thanks for the replies. I wound up putting a piece of pipe on the handle which gave me some torque to pop the blade attachment free. Then I put some pliers on the cathcer handle and twisted it free after five minutes. I've got everything off. Now I need to call Weber to get new parts.

The small cap on the wheel axle can be pulled off with a pair of pliers or vice-grips. You'll have to purchase new ones after buggering them up. As for the flip up top, there is a slim tension rod holding it in place. Get behind it with a flat blade screwdriver to get your fingers on it. Then, gently pull it towards it's natural bow. Should pop out of one of it's sockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back