Report - reheating brisket in boilin' bag in the AM for group lunch at noon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Just a report - this morning I had a brisket to bring to our mailroom folks. Cooked it this last Friday night fat side down, let it rest foiled for a few hours fat side up on Saturday when it came off, then quickly cooled it, split the point from the flat, and vacced them separately.

This morning I started a big pot of water on the range before I climbed in the shower, then dropped the two bags in the simmering water for about 40 minutes whilst I got ready for work. Removed them, dried the bags, stacked the two bags and wrapped in 2 layers of HD foil, and then in a 1/4 yard remnant of 60-inch wide polar fleece from the Wally-world clearance table (OUTSTANDING stuff for insulating resting briskets and butts). That bundle went into a pre-heated 6-packer ice chest with kitchen towels above and below - a TIGHT fit. This was packaged in the little ice chest at about 7:15 am. I delivered the brisket to the mail room at about 11:30 where I unwrapped the flat. Blasted thing was still too hot to touch even with thin gloves.

Excellent flavor, excellent texture - one of my better briskets, in fact. 13 lb CAB, Smoking Guns Hot rub, over 2/3 Kamado lump and 1/3 Kingsford, peach for smoke.

Just thought I'd pass the process along so that you'd know that a brisket can survive a 2nd "hot nap" quite well under these circumstances. Makes taking lunch to the group at work a bit easier knowing that I can cook Tuesday's brisket the weekend before and still have it taste as good as the day it was cooked as WELL as keep it piping hot for another 4 hours.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Thanks for the information. Most probably know, when you start talking about your hobby at work (smoking), you start getting requests to bring in samples. Not an easy thing to do. I'd really like to take some ribs to work, but the thought of warming them up in a microwave does not work for me. Maybe I can vac them and pac them like you did here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wade G:
Keri
Does CAB stand for Certified Angus Beef? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it does.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wade G:
Keri
Does CAB stand for Certified Angus Beef? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not Keri but........
icon_rolleyes.gif
Yes it does.
icon_wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keri,
Thanks for the post. I'm doing a pork butt Wednesday night for an office lunch on Thursday. Wasn't sure if it would hold the heat for five hours. Going to try the cooler technique minus the polar fleece.

Doing my second brisket this weekend as you did yours. I believe this is Jim Minion's recommendation for smoking brisket. My first brisket wasn't as tender and juicy as I like it. Smoked it fat side up and didn't foil.

Keri
I think you've just done a feasibility study for us. I've been considering getting an office "party in the park" pot luck together for some time. I've wanted to bring in the BBQ but was unsure about how to serve it safely. This can work. In fact, with enough meat in the ice chest it should be able to hold heat for longer ... the beer might get kinda warm, but hey, this is England, home of warm beer
icon_wink.gif

morgan

NOT a stupid question, Brandon. In this case, I had NOT frozen the cooked brisket in the vaccuum bag, I had only cooled it, vacced it, and refrigerated it for a few days.

I would think that, if you freeze cooked meat in the vac bags, you would want to thaw it in a safe manner before going to the simmering water with it, as I would think that you might have problems with the outside of the meat being thawed and hot whilst the inside was still cold and possibly partially frozen. I don't know that for sure, though, as I haven't tried doing that.

Okay, back up - I lied. I HAVE taken cooked vacced ribs (solid single slab, 1 to a vac bag, tried with both spares and bb) straight from the freezer to the simmering water and it worked okay, but you have much less mass of meat to worry about there than you do with a whole brisket or butt.

I vacced the whole point in one bag, and the whole flat in another. Didn't slice until I took it out of the bag at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back