Replacing what I think are called "speed nuts" on a Silver A lid?

AHymel

TVWBB Fan
I think this should be an easy one for y'all.

A Silver A I'm working on has "bolts" attached to the endcaps rather than holes that I can fill with my own 1/4" stainless. They arent threaded, so when I put the endcaps back on the lid, I think I need non-threaded hardware to hold it in place. I've seen mention of these "speednuts," but upon looking at the local Lowes and Home Depot, Im not finding anything like them. Anyone know if they could go by a different name at these big box stores?

1598990679615.png

Also, it goes without saying, but if anyone has a better solution to these "built-in bolts," let me know. Thanks!

They are called thread cutting nuts or self cutting nuts, I think they the size is for 1/4 inch stud.

I think this should be an easy one for y'all.

A Silver A I'm working on has "bolts" attached to the endcaps rather than holes that I can fill with my own 1/4" stainless. They arent threaded, so when I put the endcaps back on the lid, I think I need non-threaded hardware to hold it in place. I've seen mention of these "speednuts," but upon looking at the local Lowes and Home Depot, Im not finding anything like them. Anyone know if they could go by a different name at these big box stores?

View attachment 13092

Also, it goes without saying, but if anyone has a better solution to these "built-in bolts," let me know. Thanks!
Actually, they might be 7/16 in size thread cutting nuts.

I found these listed as "starlock push on fasteners", on Amazon, and even on walmart.com. Do an image search for "starlock fasteners" .

Last edited:
Rick W has it right. They are thread cutting nuts. You can get them at automotive parts stores and Amazon. Ford liked to use them. They are not cheap.

Thanks for all the feedback! I will definitely have to snag some of those options IF what I bought today won't work:

I brought the endcap into Home Depot to hold up against the built-in bolts. These fit the bill, and with a bit of hammering, they seem to be a good option. My only concern is that they are zinc. I know stainless steel is preferable, but any reason these wouldn't work for now? The melting temp or zinc seems to be high enough that they should be fine, and for $1.18, it was worth a shot.

Forget the retainers. Just put a dab of high temp RTV silicone gasket maker behind the badge. It'll hold till the cows come home and if you want to take it off it'll come off slicker than poop through a goose

Forget the retainers. Just put a dab of high temp RTV silicone gasket maker behind the badge. It'll hold till the cows come home and if you want to take it off it'll come off slicker than poop through a goose

Hahaha yes, I hear ya on the badge! Sadly, Im working on reattaching the endcaps to the lid itself.

Hahaha yes, I hear ya on the badge! Sadly, Im working on reattaching the endcaps to the lid itself.
Oops! The picture at the top of this topic shows the kind of retainers that hold the badge in place, not the kind of retainers that are used on the end caps, hence the confusion. On my Silver, the badge is held on with the same thread-cutting nuts as the end caps. On my 1000, they use the kind of retainer pictured at the top of this topic to retain the badge. The end caps use a nut and splined bolt on the 1000.

EDIT: That explains why you are using an zinc-plated internal tooth lock washer as a retainer. You've got the wrong item. I would not use them...they look like they will be a real problem if you ever need to take the end caps off, such as for repainting. You really need to be using the items that Jeff linked earlier.

Attachments

• 20200902_131732.jpg
    20200902_131732.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200902_131811.jpg
    20200902_131811.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I do beleive those thread cutting nuts are a different size for the badge than they are for the end caps.

No, same size. 7/16" wrench. I just did my badges a couple of weeks ago. Now the 1000, that is a skinnier post/stud.

Attachments

• 20200902_184703.jpg
    20200902_184703.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200902_184725.jpg
    20200902_184725.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 8

Back