Replacement side sticker?

The difference between a really good restoration and an average one is in the details. Things like the lid, tank scale, manifold, and the replacement decals for the scale and tank level are what separate good work from great work in my opinion.

Yep, there are clearly differences in the rehabs we see here. Some of the rehabs seem to go even a step above brand new/unused.

I wrapped up a Platinum II this weekend using some more of Jon’s decals. This is my first time having the opportunity to use the large frame gauge decal. I also have found myself getting pretty adept at restoring the old style tank scales. Shown in the last photo is a scale for an X000 on the left and the Platinum scale on the right (notice the difference in the pointer rod offset).IMG_0648.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpeg
    IMG_0650.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0644.jpeg
    IMG_0644.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 9
I wrapped up a Platinum II this weekend using some more of Jon’s decals. This is my first time having the opportunity to use the large frame gauge decal. I also have found myself getting pretty adept at restoring the old style tank scales. Shown in the last photo is a scale for an X000 on the left and the Platinum scale on the right (notice the difference in the pointer rod offset).View attachment 89679
I don't think I ever noticed the difference in those before, very cool. I also take the time to restore the tank scale. It's not super labor intensive but sure does make a difference. I've always been able to reuse the original hardware. I soak it in penetrant to get the rust off and repaint it along with the rest. Great job Tom!

I wrapped up a Platinum II this weekend using some more of Jon’s decals. This is my first time having the opportunity to use the large frame gauge decal. I also have found myself getting pretty adept at restoring the old style tank scales. Shown in the last photo is a scale for an X000 on the left and the Platinum scale on the right (notice the difference in the pointer rod offset).View attachment 89679
That, is GORGEOUS!!!

My idea is to get the full on 304 SS frame rebuild done is to have the scale laser engraved on the foreleg. If possible a laser engraved control panel as well. Well that’s the idea anyway, still trying to figure out the side tables.

My idea is to get the full on 304 SS frame rebuild done is to have the scale laser engraved on the foreleg. If possible a laser engraved control panel as well. Well that’s the idea anyway, still trying to figure out the side tables.
WOW

How do we get from not painting the inside of a cookbox to lazer etched control panels? :unsure:
Time and cocktails! And a nephew learning to weld as well as having laser engraving done on gun parts. Nephew is pretty cool!
This project is born of ways to never need to paint or replace “most” stuff that is a headache and end up with a way cool backyard pearl!
Oh, and many hours of watching you “Masters of the rebuild” giving me a feeling of insecurity!
Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Back