Replacement cooking grate ideas for 2000 (DD) Genesis Silver B grill

ChrisG

TVWBB Member
I bought this grill new and it's had medium use over the past 24 years. I noticed when I pulled it out of storage, the stainless grates had a few broken welds where the grill bars separated from the cross member. The two grate sides are intact and functional but are due for replacement because of the broken welds (not something I can fix myself). Weber sells a porcelain coated grate of the exact same design as my stainless steel version for a reasonable price but their stainless replacements are spendier than I might have expected. The Flavorizer bars are porcelain (not stainless) and while pitted a bit here and there, remain sound and not rusting through so I plan to keep those in use.

Any suggestions for this old grill's cooking grates?

Below are two photos for reference from a week or so ago:

IMG_4651.jpeg
74433617767__8DF79ADA-002C-4B38-8C30-B68DA7FEA264.jpeg

As much as I like Weber's 65619 stamped stainless steel grates, they have gotten expensive enough to where I would probably go with one of the above suggestions myself.Screenshot_20240810-180600.png

Are you going to keep on using the grill? Or sell it off? If you're gonna keep it, my advice is don't cheap out on the grates. Get the larger heavier 9m. Those few extra $$$$ are SO worth it, in how well they cook, they clean up and so on.
When you interact with a grill, remember the grates are what you actually interact with daily. Not worth it to skimp

Are you going to keep on using the grill? Or sell it off? If you're gonna keep it, my advice is don't cheap out on the grates. Get the larger heavier 9m. Those few extra $$$$ are SO worth it, in how well they cook, they clean up and so on.
When you interact with a grill, remember the grates are what you actually interact with daily. Not worth it to skimp
Yes, I'm keeping it. Nothing wrong with it other than the grates. I just don't use it very often now that the family is gone and we don't grill for four like we used to. The existing grates will last this season, maybe longer but the suggestions, especially bumping up to 9mm is a consideration. I guess the real question though is whether the Weber porcelain coated iron grates might not work a little better with the Flavorizer bar concept Weber uses? About the same price as some of the stainless options with round bars.

Yes, I'm keeping it. Nothing wrong with it other than the grates. I just don't use it very often now that the family is gone and we don't grill for four like we used to. The existing grates will last this season, maybe longer but the suggestions, especially bumping up to 9mm is a consideration. I guess the real question though is whether the Weber porcelain coated iron grates might not work a little better with the Flavorizer bar concept Weber uses? About the same price as some of the stainless options with round bars.
Cast iron are more trouble than they're worth. No benefit in my eyes (I know that comment will start a war), but ability to hold heat is more related to "mass" than to whether cast iron or SS

Thanks! Shipped, those are less expensive than getting them from Weber directly. Lots of great suggestions, guys, thank you!
You're welcome, your best bet is to find the Weber part number on whatever it is and Google to find your best price.

I like stamped stainless on a Silver B. They heat up fast, clean well, last a long time. If I needed to sear, I'd put a cast iron griddle diwn
I remember the place I bought the grill from made a comment about the stamped stainless (like I have) vs. the cast iron made the same comment. But in the 24 years I've owned this grill, where all I ever cook is chicken tenderloins or breasts, hamburgers, and steaks of one cut or another, searing has never been an issue on the stamped stainless Weber grate. That said, I'm not convinced of any one solution. Yet... ;)

One REALLY nice thing about those stamped grates is you will never lose food between the bars
Absolutely. That's what makes me wonder about the 7mm or even 9mm steel rods. I very likely will get the current version of the overpriced Weber SS cooking grate because the extra $50 really is not a significant expense averaged out over the years. Like I said upthread, I have had the Silver B for 24 years and the original grate has held up. Really, the only issue is some of the welds on on end or the other have broken. The photo I posted earlier is the old grates from a few days ago and they really don't look too bad:
74433617767__8DF79ADA-002C-4B38-8C30-B68DA7FEA264.jpeg

Back