Replace My Sunbeam Gas Grill With A Weber?

Yah, I am sure Weber isn't benefiting from people rehabing old weber grills and reselling them when that person might otherwise spring for a brand new grill.

I think what you'll see (actually I have been seeing) is they will quite selling the burners. Weber will no longer source the burners for my Summit 450 for example. Thankfully I have a spare set. The crossover tube will be the odd man out for me but I think I can make one them from Genesis parts. I am sure Weber will find a way to obsolete our hobby

It's possible, but that for sure will make me and I'm sure many others look at other brands besides Weber just because of the cost of a Weber. At my age I'm sure my two old genesis will out last me, so no worries here.

Revisiting an old thread here, but due to the recent hurricane alerts, I refilled my propane tank and fired the grill up.

The grill still works OK, but the piezo electrode fell out the bottom due to rust around the piezo itself. The burner produces blue flames with yellow tips, but the yellow tips are equal in length to the blue flame, and even worse on high.

I grilled some chicken leg quarters with good results, and tater tots cook up better in the Sunbeam than they do in the electric oven. I've also grilled some cod and whitings in a fish basket too.

The yellow tips on the flames can be fixed by adjusting the venturi on the right end of the tube. There are youtube videos that show the process.

You can replace the electronic igniter on most Genesis 1000 or Silver B grills for about $10 - $12.

Larry is correct. There is a good chance that cleaning them up will bring them back to peak performance.

Bumping an old thread here...

For what it's worth, I set my old Sunbeam on the side if the road, and it was snatched up a few hours later. It would have cost me over $100.00 to replace the burner assembly, flavorizer tent, and piezo.

So how are you liking the Silver compared to the Sunbeam?

It's a learning curve, oddly enough.

There have been times when I thought the grill wasn't hot enough. I tried placing a tin foil bag of wood chips on the grate, Sunday, but smoke never appeared (I ran all three burners on high with a good preheat). Should the bag (or smoke box) be placed on the flavorizer bars instead?

The propane tank level seems to dropping quicker than I anticipated (down between 50% to 60% according to the tank scale). Yesterday, I grilled some boneless breast fillets without the rear burner. The grill thermometer registered about 400°, more or less, and the chicken cooked up pretty well. Is it common practice to run only two burners when grilling? I like running all three, but if two will do the job, it will save gas for another cook.

I could average about 15 to 20 cooks per tank on the Sunbeam. Not sure if I can accomplish that feat with the Weber.

Here's a stock image of the Sunbeam burners...

iu

Last edited:
It's a learning curve, oddly enough.

There have been times when I thought the grill wasn't hot enough. I tried placing a tin foil bag of wood chips on the grate, Sunday, but smoke never appeared (I ran all three burners on high with a good preheat). Should the bag (or smoke box) be placed on the flavorizer bars instead?

The propane tank level seems to dropping quicker than I anticipated (down between 50% to 60% according to the tank scale). Yesterday, I grilled some boneless breast fillets without the rear burner. The grill thermometer registered about 400°, more or less, and the chicken cooked up pretty well. Is it common practice to run only two burners when grilling? I like running all three, but if two will do the job, it will save gas for another cook.

I could average about 15 to 20 cooks per tank on the Sunbeam. Not sure if I can accomplish that feat with the Weber.

Here's a stock image of the Sunbeam burners...

iu

AFAIK you put the wood chips on the grates....here's a smoker box that's made for it, I believe Bruce has it and likes it very much...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002WJIQGW/tvwb-20

As far as grilling, especially chicken breasts, I think that running only 2 burners should be suffice. By doing that you should be able to conserve fuel.

Thanks!

Found this on eBay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unique-Smo...047798&hash=item3f9cfe1d25:g:we0AAOSwadda~FUy

I may order one, but I wonder if one could make an identical unit out of heavy duty aluminum foil. If nothing else, some thin stainless metal could be shaped by hand into the form of a "V", and cover the openings with foil. Just some ideas I'm floating around.

I hate I don't have access to some of the metal fab machinery we used to work with. We could put a 90° degree bend in a piece of 1/2" hot rolled steel 20' long.

Last edited:

Back