Repairing the cook box

Willard

TVWBB Fan
Last week, while restoring an older Spirit, I used the whole cookbox to bent/decapitate a rusted screw.

I tried this with a newer Genesis and the cookbox wasn't as strong and it broke off as shown in the enclosed picture?

Can this be glued or repaired somehow? I also thought of letting the tightness of the screw hold the broken part in place.

P.s.: is it cook box or fire box?

Attachments

• C66E3039-3592-4442-B643-CA1145697101.jpeg
    C66E3039-3592-4442-B643-CA1145697101.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 25
This is my go-to for that kind of thing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PP26RI/?tag=tvwb-20
8163zGtVLIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Braze it with a torch and aluminum brazing rods?
That takes skill and practice. That's an awful lot of mass to try and heat up. You're gonna need a big torch and a lot of patience. The big problem with aluminum is that it doesn't change color before it melts.

Yes Ed, flip. I like the idea of the washers. Thanks!

If I only knew what a fender washer was….
a fender washer is a larger overall size of a washer compared to the size of the bolt hole.

think of a half dollar sized washer with a small hole, like 1/4" or 3/8".

IMO, that cook box is done. If that is an older Spirit E3xx grill, then you should be able to replace it with a Silver B/C cook box which is very common and you can find those grills pretty cheap or free.

IMO, that cook box is done. If that is an older Spirit E3xx grill, then you should be able to replace it with a Silver B/C cook box which is very common and you can find those grills pretty cheap or free.
Integrity.

I agree with Bruce and Ed. If you were just keeping it for yourself, or maybe a family member, that would be another story. It might well work out fine. But I wouldn't sell it to someone else with that much doubt hanging over it.

I don't think I have quite gotten my head around what you said about how this happened:

"I used the whole cookbox to bent/decapitate a rusted screw."

What exactly did you do?

Jon, while the cookbox was still attached to the frame with that rusted screw, I lifted the cookbox in an arc motion up, hoping the cookbox would be strong enough to snap the head off the screw. Stupid and lazy on my part. I’m done with that cookbox. I actually have another one that the karmic energy of the universe brought to me with….decapitated screws inside!

See this picture. Is it difficult to drill that through to extract the broken screws?

Attachments

• 9882C2B1-BF1F-4D26-BD54-065696302D30.jpeg
    9882C2B1-BF1F-4D26-BD54-065696302D30.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 23
Well, I can think of plenty of worse tricks I have tried, some fortunate that I am all in one piece!

You certainly CAN drill that out. I wouldn't call it easy. I think having the right QUALITY drill bits, a good drill, and patience are all key. I hope @Bruce will weigh in on this one for you. He has a lot more experience. I have done it successfully, but I have also botched doing it.:rolleyes:

Bruce, it’s a 2008 Genesis E310. I’m thinking of just buying a donor grill or perhaps buying just the cookbox from one of yous.

will this cookbox fit a 2008 Genesis E310?

20 minutes away. Free!

Attachments

• 1633282283792.jpeg
    1633282283792.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 7

Back