Repair To The Frame ?

Randy G

TVWBB Fan
Good morning.I can get this grill for even cheaper than listed. Found it on offer up.

My concern is the damage and rust to the front part of the frame below the doors.
I can’t weld so I’m not sure I have much ability to repair the frame if this part is beyond repair.
Thinking it’s worth taking this grill for peanuts and fixing it up.
Thoughts?
Thanks for all the help. 0C073FC7-A75F-4680-8E9C-FD2CEE2425F4.jpeg

I am sure the entire bottom panel is rusted out and likely the side and front panels as well. One option on a grill such as this is to remove the bottom, sides, back and doors and make it into an open cart grill. However, you will need to do some fabbing to add a front and back support bracket and likely some kind of bottom panel.
But, if that is a Genesis Platinum with the stainless steel frame, it is an awesome candidate for rehabbing. I can't tell from the single photo.

20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum (1).jpg

Hi Randy, If you can get it at a cheap to you price I would say yes. I am a free only guy.

The frame can be hacked together or professionally looking repaired without welding.

I am sure the entire bottom panel is rusted out and likely the side and front panels as well. One option on a grill such as this is to remove the bottom, sides, back and doors and make it into an open cart grill. However, you will need to do some fabbing to add a front and back support bracket and likely some kind of bottom panel.
But, if that is a Genesis Platinum with the stainless steel frame, it is an awesome candidate for rehabbing. I can't tell from the single photo.

View attachment 58249
Here is the wide view…

6FDA48F6-C48F-4CEF-B7D3-25A1E58031AC.jpeg

Oh yah, that is stainless frame. It is the best Genesis frame out there. But the cabinet will have to go and you would have to commit to doing some fabrication work. If so, it is the ultimate Weber Genesis rehab candidate.

Oh yah, that is stainless frame. It is the best Genesis frame out there. But the cabinet will have to go and you would have to commit to doing some fabrication work. If so, it is the ultimate Weber Genesis rehab candidate.
The frame is making me worry. I could pick it up, dissemble and then have the frame welded professionally. Once thats done, I’m cool with the rest. Am I missing an obvious hack to the frame?

No, not really. But, the cabinet is what gives the frame its strength. If you remove the cabinet due to rust, you will need to reinforce the legs with the two cross members or you could find one of the wire racks from a Silver C that snap onto the frame which then provides that support.
with out the cabinet, you will not have the front and back cross members on the lower part of the frame. In the photo above, I fabbed those in after I removed the cabinet. If you have someone weld the two cross members in, then you are golden, but it might get a little expensive depending on who you have do it. The other alternative is to use tube connecting nuts.
I know my advice is a bit random, and if you don't fully understand, i get that. But we can get that grill fixed up if you are willing to have some one weld it or you are willing to do the work yourself.
My personal grill sits in one of those Stainless Steel Platinum frames.

20210820_140035.jpg

The hack part - for grills with cabinets the back panel and floor panel are structural pieces that hold the frame together and keep the cabinet square

So you can reinforce the back panel and floor panel with steel sheet, about appliance sheet thickness, and fasten it with self drilling and tapping screws. Keep the overlay sheets on the inside of the cabinet where paint doesn’t have to match

You do have to figure out how to keep the magnet tab for the doors

Here is a patched cabinet floor

Attachments

• 0B85D02A-DC46-4B6D-9985-CFED0B48F221.jpeg
    0B85D02A-DC46-4B6D-9985-CFED0B48F221.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 17
Joe, you did a great job on that grill. It must have been a pain to figure out where to put the holes for the doors to fit into on the new crossmember.
Thanks but it was easy as I just measured the old base I took out. I drilled the hole and even used the plastic insert and metal piece for the door magnets from the old floor.

You would want the front and back cross members to be level with the existing left and right ones. That is how I welded in my front and back cross members and I tested with the doors and it is a perfect fit. I am still trying to figure out a good/economical way to replace the side and back panels on my grill with SS or aluminum and then putting the doors back on. It would just require drilling the holes in the front cross member for the pivot rods. I would also need to weld in a stop bracket in the middle of front cross member to stop the doors and provide a contact for the magnets.
In my case, I would need to use a different bottom grate since the one I have on the grill would interfere with the doors. There is a Silver C grate that snaps in that would work perfectly.

Thanks for the input. The seller ghosted me! I guess they found someone who pay the full asking.I’m following bpratt‘s lead…free only. Unless, it’s a 26” kettle for under $50!

I would grab a SS platinum for $60 any day if it was in my territory. But free is always better.

Hi Bruce,

You say "the ultimate Weber Genesis rehab candidate". I have been thinking this myself.

Would you call that a personal preference along with agreement amongst your peers?

I ask because I think this will be my first rehab in the near future(y)

Hi Bruce,

You say "the ultimate Weber Genesis rehab candidate". I have been thinking this myself.

Would you call that a personal preference along with agreement amongst your peers?

I ask because I think this will be my first rehab in the near future(y)
Yes, I think a great percentage would agree with me that the SS Platinum is the ultimate vintage Genesis grill for rehabbing. Some may have a soft sport for other models, but if you are just looking for a great rehab grill and don't have any preconcieved preferences, then you really can't go wrong with the SS Platinum.
Some love the wood on the older Genesis 1000's and some love the Skyline variation of the Genesis 1000. Some like the older Genesis deep box grills.
Me, I have a SS PLatinum frame, with the deep box and Skyline lid.

Back