Repair a vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Has anyone ever replaced a vent (damper)? I have the new damper and a nut and screw that weber sent me, but I was wondering what size bit to use to drill out the old rivet or if there is some other trick to getting it cleanly off.

I haven't drilled out a rivet on my WSM, but I have drilled out a LOT of rivets on my boats and RV.

In looking at the rivet, you want to use a 1/4" or 5/16" bit and drill from the inside. You are not actually drilling it out, but cutting the squeezed side of the rivet off so that it can be pulled or pushed through for removal.

Take it slowly and use no more pressure than you have to. If the bit snags the material, you could end up having the rivet just spinning in the hole and you'll be getting nowhere.

If the rivet does start spinning and you are having difficult removing material, try wedging something under the rivet head and old vent to help hold it in place (a flat bladed screwdriver might work). It may not be necessary to drill out the squished bit of metal entirely. If it gets thin enough, you might be able to take a pair of pliers and pinch what remains into a shape that is small enough to pass through the hole in the steel.

You'll do fine.

Chet

Agree with Chet. I think it's aluminum so it shouldn't be a big deal but if it's not drilling out for you spray a little WD-40 on the rivet several times while drilling to act as a cutting fluid.

Heck, what am I posting for? You've probaly got the new vent installed already.

Jerry,

I removed the vent dampers from a WSM for the Little Red Bullet Project.

Chet has it right. Use a 1/4" bit and drill from the inside of the lid/bowl into the backside of the rivet. Just grind away most of the rounded edge on the inside of the rivet, then crush it using pliers and push it out.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for the input. I'm sure I could have figured it out, but it's great to have this group as a resource. Saves a lot of time and aggravation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back