Removing Finished Butt from Grate

John Vale

TVWBB Fan
Today I did a really poor job of removing a finished and hot 7 pound butt from the grate to double sheet of foil on a table next to the smoker. I slid a spatula under the butt before lifting it up in the hopes to release any portions of the butt that were stuck to the grate. That almost worked. When I lifted the butt using a pair of heat proof gloves, one end was still stuck to the grate and the butt began to come apart. I did finally get the several large pieces of the butt onto the foil, but it was not a pretty sight. The good news is the butt really looks moist and tender. It is in the cooler now.

I am now thinking that I should have lifted the grate off the smoker with the butt on it and placed the grate on the table.

I would really appreciate any suggestions you have to make this removal process simple and repeatable.

John

insulated rubber gloves. I got a pair after having to remove a 19lb full shoulder and saying to myself "there has to be a better way" The pair i have are marketed specifically for bbq by Steven Raichlen. They are also great for pulling the pork and removing beercans from chickens etc.

I think you have the right idea, John. I use a spatula and rubber gloves. Now mind you, mine is a larger one for grills, not the type you flip eggs over with.
icon_wink.gif
I quickly slide the spatula under the butt in different places to completely separate the butt from the grate, then slide it lengths wise under the butt trying to get as much of it under all the butt as possible. Then, lift with one hand and angle it slightly toward the gloved hand (almost cradling it) and carefully carry it over to the laid out foil. I use to try to slide the butt back and forth and dislodge it from the grate but that almost never worked and I left much of the bottom bark on the grate. This method removed practically all of it. HTH

Bill

I use just about any halfway-decent pair of gloves that I have around the house.

First, I would work a spatula around, under the meat, to loosen it up.

Next, I slap a piece of aluminum foil over the top, long enough to go down the sides.

Finally, I can grip the sucker via the foil - and avoid wrecking my gloves.

I have one of these.
That and a wad of paper towel works great on a butt or brisket.
Picked mine up at BB&B off the CL shelf for less than a sawbuck.
icon_cool.gif

Tim

i have a wide fish spatula i got at wal mart, cheap and sturdy. but i rarely have a butt stick so don't really know. i imagine a good pair of rubber gloves should do the trick.

Tim and George - the fish spatula looks like a great solution for the problem that I had today. Thanks.

John

Go to the Bass Pro shop . The cooking and grilling section should have just what you need in a heavy duty spatula .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Vale:
I slid a spatula under the butt before lifting it up in the hopes to release any portions of the butt that were stuck to the grate. That almost worked. When I lifted the butt using a pair of heat proof gloves, one end was still stuck to the grate and the butt began to come apart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As you found out the key to getting butts off the grate is to make sure they are un-stuck from the grate. Once free, you can take them off all different kind of ways, with all different kinds of tools.
icon_wink.gif
I use my Barbie Boss (best grill spatula made IMO) to loosen the butt up, then remove with rubber/neoprene gloves.

I bought a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves from the gardening center at lowes. I used them this past weekend for some butts. They are blue and hanging with all the gloves in that department. 8 bucks.

John, many good suggestions for accomplishing removal of butts from grate. I would also recommend spraying the grates down with cooking spray first. It won't completely stop the butt from sticking but it will help.

I now cook all butts in aluminum pans.

At some point in the cook you'll want to drain some of the juices off... or not.

Makes cleanup so simple.

Back