Remote reading thermometer

Steve W in NC

TVWBB Member
I want to do some pork butts overnight soon and feel the need to have a good thermometer. I did some checking and am leaning toward the Maverick Redichek ET 73. I like the remote feature a lot. Also I like the alarm feature for a minimum/maximum grill temperature and target temperature for the meat.

What do you experienced BBQ folks feel about the Maverick ET 73

i love mine. the range is somewhat suspect, but my cooker is pretty close to my house so i have never had problems

I did not have a good experience with the ET73. Others have also had issues on here. Range issues and frequently losing the signal in addition to questionable readings at times. Also, the probes seemed to burn out fairly easily. I recently replaced mine with the Nu Temp but have not used as of yet. I ordered mine through their website and got a TVWB discount. See the Kitchen Gadget section for more info.

Bob

robert is smarter then me because he did the discount, but I have the same story as him, Maverick was excellent when it worked (about 50% of the time).
icon_wink.gif
Mines never lost signal yet, works several HUNDRED feet (down my driveway). hope that helps. I know its extra money though, just something to think about. i'de shoot for a nu temp if possible and not worry about therm's for years to come. Apperantly Bryan S. has had one for some long years, just cant remember how many, I read a post and got one.

I recently purchased a redichek and have used it 4 times with no problems. I will buy another one if this one ever quits.

Been using an ET73 for a few years. I haven't had any of the range issues others mention. My WSM is on the side porch, but I have a 3 story old home with plaster and lath walls etc. No problem receiving on the third floor or anywhere in the house.

I had good results with mine until I left it too close to the smoker one day after finishing a cook. I left the door off to burn up the rest of the fuel and part of the case on the sending unit started to melt. Then the probe went out. I am planning to replace it. I was in a hardware store the other day and saw a remote two probe unit marketed by Big Green Egg that looked identical to the maverick. Anybody know if they are selling under the BGE name?

Ken: I have the BGE remote thermometer and it is the exact same thing as the Maverick. It is an ET-73. I paid $50 for mine, but you can find them at amazon for cheaper I believe, plus Chris gets credit for the sale if you use his link to amazon.

Back