Remote meat thermometer

Kevin L (NKY)

TVWBB Diamond Member
I am looking for a cost effective remote thermometer, so I can let the meat cook and not open the lid so often. I cannot justify a expensive one yet as I am still learning the slow,smoke,cook method. Any advice, or experiences would be greatly received.
Thank you.

One could argue that since you are learning you should use an expensive one. I bought a $35 Maverick a year ago, I use it for smoker temp then later in the cook I put it in the meat. It works great so far.

A good remote thermometer will help you learn much faster. You'll be able to see your meat and cooking temps at a glance and make adjustments accordingly. I have a Maverick ET-732 and at $59 it's one of the best investments I ever made.

I'm a fan of the Maverick ET-732 myself. I cook exclusively with a Weber 22.5 OTG and am able to maintain 300 degrees grill temperature for my ribs from start to finish with the help of the Maverick. The meat probe shows me when to foil a Boston Butt (I foil at 160 degrees) for excellent and predictable results.

Dale53

Originally posted by J Boldt:
One could argue that since you are learning you should use an expensive one. I bought a $35 Maverick a year ago, I use it for smoker temp then later in the cook I put it in the meat. It works great so far.

J what model is that and would you recaomend that one or a newer one if you were to buy today.
Kevin

I have the Maverick ET-732. It's very handy to have the wireless feature. Get to keep an eye on the temp while I prep non-grill stuff in the kitchen.

Ditto on the ET-732. I had the previous model before hand. They work great IMHO and free me from a lot of manual checking when I'm doing other things around the house or working in the indoor kitchen.

Handy tools. I do have to say I'm a big fan of ordering the longer heavier duty probes they sell.

You order them separately. When you buy the unit you will see an ordering form in the manual for the accessory probes. Worth the 20-30 bucks IMHO.

They sell the cheaper, shorter, thinner wire probes with the unit to stay in price point.

Anyway something to consider.

I also have their wireless rotisserie unit since the day they were introduced. I like that just as much.

Now I guess it is back to doing some heavy reading to see which one works for me, I like the wireless model as I can do other things inside & outside in the yard or garden etc. But the thermoworks has good points also.

Thanks for your inputs and any other pros and cons are welcome, nice to get the good and the bad before you buy.

The first probe therm I bought was an inexpensive one from Sears (not remote). I think I paid $15 for it and got lots of good use out of it before it finally quit a few months ago. I was at my in-laws a while back (out of town) and needed a probe therm. for something we were cooking there. The only place in town that had one was Wal-mart, so I bought it. It's remote and I think it was about $16. So far its worked fine, but I've only used it a couple of times. There's certainly nothing wrong with spending more and getting a Maverick or Thermoworks as others have suggested, but I've personally had pretty good luck with some less expensive ones.

any other pros and cons are welcome

Kevin, I used to have a wireless system that I loved. It was a Nu-Temp and did upto 3 different wireless sensors and worked through houses/buildings with no problem. The sensors also read the temp as well. But they went out of business and their probes were proprietary so they are now useless.

Pros on the thermoworks
Fairly cheap @ $19
Great customer service. I had a faulty probe upon arrival and they sent a new one out same day.
Probes have been durable for me
Newer probe design has silicon cover over connection between probe & wire to protect against water
Easy & cheap to replace or add probes

Cons
Not wireless

My uncle has the ET 732 and it's great.

I do miss the wireless feature, but I too often need multiple probes so I'd have to go outside anyways. I have tried a couple other probes in my thermoworks and they have worked, however, the Maverick probe would not read in my thermowork sensor, and my thermoworks probes would not read in the maverick sensor.

Thanks Josh great info, you make good points. The wireless is real handy when it is 100 out like tomorrow, or 35 in the fall, or I am just lazy. The thermoworks would work for msot of my cooks real well .

Get the et-732. I have the et-73, which was out before the et-732. Had some range issues (which were corrected with the et-732) so I had to mod it by adding antennae. It has worked great for several years, and I hear that the et-732 has worked great for folks as well. I can do overnight cooks easily, without having to stay up or check every 2-3 hours. In fact, I slept the whole night the last time i did a pork butt and a brisket (I was also using a partyQ).

Does anybody have any experience with the "iGrill"? Looks like a really cool way to monitor. Load the app on the iphone or ipad and not have to carry around an extra device. Thoughts?

well I had to do a slow cook over the weekend so I ran to Wal-Mart and bought a wireless remote thermo. I worked pretty darn good And was talking to the wife abuot the different types and she said this one worked pretty good so the Maverick should be fantastic so I ordered one of those should be here in a few days.

I want to thank all of you for your help as it made picking one and researching them easier. Now all I need to do is get good at using it.

Back