Reheating Ribs

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I'm going to be cooking for an event and I need a way to keep ribs warm without drying them out. I will be using sterno and foil pans. I know that I will need to keep some liquid in the pan. I was thinking apple juice or chicken stock but how do I keep them from getting mushy also? I'm going to cook the ribs a day or two before and then reheat on site. I'm new to this catering thing. First time making ribs for a big event.

Aloha Gerry... Last July I "catered" my son's and his wife's wedding reception. I smoked 108 slabs of ribs on Saturday, and wrapped in foil and placed in refrigerator overnight. I reheated the ribs, unwrapped, in 4 Kettles. I also rotissed a 120 lb hog and three 14 lb briskets on Saturday, then reheated them in a La Caja China.

Joe, just curious, what did you use to smoke 108 Racks of Ribs on? And, How do you like the La Caja China? Did you ever use it for Butts/Brisket, Whole hog?

Bill... I have a 24x48 Gator w/ upright, and I used 4 "after-market" rib racks. Did several batches. Briskets were done in my WSMs. The La Caja China works good but never did a whole hog, works great for turkeys, and roasts and butts. The sheet metal work is too thin on the lid and tray for the fire. For a smaller whole hog w/o the head it would work as advertised. However I prefer to rotisserie the hog, I have three spit roasters of which two will handle whole hogs up to 150 lb hogs. I built them from salvaged materials. They won't win any beauty contest but they work like a charm.

The event will have 50 people. I will be cooking spares and figuring on 3 ribs per person. It will be a 3 hour indoor event. The only equipemnt that I will have to reheat and keep the ribs warm will be sterno and foil pans with lids. I was looking to see if any has done this before using similar equipment. I plan on getting there 3 hours early to set up. Basically what is a good liquid to put in the bottom of the pan to keep the ribs moist without drying them out. I just want to reheat and keep warm and hopefully not dry them out or over cook them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
Joe, just curious, what did you use to smoke 108 Racks of Ribs on? And, How do you like the La Caja China? Did you ever use it for Butts/Brisket, Whole hog? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use my La Caja China for whole hog at least once a year. Very easy to use. The only problem is it can't really handle a hog larger than 100 pounds. I have cooked lamb in it as well. It can hold a lot of butts but unless you purchase the smoker attachment there isn't much smoke flavor since the fire is on top of the meat. What ever you put in there basically cooks in its own juices or what ever liquid you add.

Gerry... In my experience hosting and catering parties, the chafing dish w/ sterno takes too long to get the ribs hot. That arrangement is good to keep foods warm. Your La Caja would be more efficient. It took 1-1/2 hours to reheat the hog that I did for my son's party.

joe

Where's the event being held? What do you have for Smoker's? Do you have access to any Cambro's? How many people are helping you and is the menu fixed already?

Joe, I purchased the Rib Rack made by Treager that will hold 9 racks and they fit perfectly in My Stump's. With 5 shelves in each I'm able to do 90 racks at a time. Rack was exp. but are well worth the money, GREAT QUALITY! I was looking @ the La caja china for a Whole Hog no more than 100-110 lbs. Are you satisfied with the results of it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
Where's the event being held? What do you have for Smoker's? Do you have access to any Cambro's? How many people are helping you and is the menu fixed already? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The event is being held in a library, and they would prefer that I use only the sterno and foil pans. I will be smoking the ribs on the WSM. I was planning on using a big cooler. I'm going to fill it with hot water to preheat it. Then dump out the water, dry it, put a towel in the bottom, place in foiled ribs, put another towel on top and then close it up. I will be flying solo and the menu is ribs, beans, slaw, and cornbread.

Gerry, what is the timeline for the event? Time of service, distance from your cooking site to library, will you cook the day before? I have done dozens of dozens of events and parties (dinners to luaus for 400) and a schedule is important. You will need time to unloading the car, set-up etc. It can be done but if you can get help you will be better off.

joe

Gerry, at looking at your prior posts I'm confused. You were suppose to be cooking Pulled Pork for an event this past weekend, there really is no difference, how did you do that cook? What didi you use to keep that food safe? May I suggest a Safe-Serv Coarse before you serve ANYTHING to the public. Serving temps, proper handling, cooling, transport, all play an important role in the Publics Health. After reviewing your prior posts and the things that you did/want to do I would say it is a requirement that this is done.

The pulled pork is for an event this weekend and pulled pork is completely different than ribs. Pulled pork I'll just reheat with some finishing sauce and if it starts to get a little dry I'll add some more finishing sauce, easy.

Ribs I have never done for anyone other than family and friends. Thats why was asking for tips, methods, techinques, etc...

Just this year a lot of people have been approaching me and asking me to cook pulled pork for one event, ribs for another, brisket for another.

I have an idea of what I want to do and I'll go with that.

Gerry--

Chafers are not designed for reheating, they are designed to keep hot food hot. As Joe notes, reheating can take too long (and this is why their use for such is illegal in many jurisdictions; the danger of bacterial growth is higher).

If the facility wishes chafers only then I would strongly suggest reheating directly on all the grills you have, till hot, then stacking 3 or 4 slabs together and double- or triple-wrapping in HD foil and placing in a cooler packed with towels. Have everything else packed in your car and hit the road.

Since the ribs were hot when they were coolered you n eed only get to the location, set up your stuff, and get the ribs in to hold. This will ameliorate the arrival time so you won't need to get there too early.

Chafers are designed to be double-panned, i.e., two pans in the chafer excluding the lid. Put hot water in the bottom pan, place the top pan in the bottom pan, put the lid on, then light the sterno. The ribs can be unloaded into the pans shortly thereafter, when the water is hot and steaming. I would suggest leaving the top pan dry. (The water in the lower pan serves as a buffer for the direct heat.) I see no need to have liquid in with the ribs at all. The ribs can be left in the foil till serving time, or you can unwrap them sooner if you wish.

Be sure the slabs you have will fit iin the chafers you have. If not halve them befor reheating or before foiling.

Thank you Kevin. THe Library is about 10 minutes from where I will be cooking the ribs. I will be using 2 WSMs. My plans was to cook until done, wrap in foil, and place in a preheated cooler with towels underneath and on top. They would be in the cooler less than a hour before being put in the chafing dishes. I guess I was a little unclear about the details of the cook.

My interpretation was that you were cooking well in advance and the ribs would be reheated from cold. That not being the case, so much the better.

Thanks again Kevin. I should have been a little more clear with my process from the beginning. I think faster than I type.

Back