Reheating ribs - what do you do?

Dean Smiley

TVWBB Member
I always smoke as many ribs as I have or can fit in the smoker and freeze what we don't eat immediately. Later, we normally microwave thawed ribs but we need to do a bunch for an upcoming dinner so I was wondering what you would do if you needed to heat up, say 4-5 racks. Would you warm them in the oven or what? Thanks.

Dean

Last edited:
When I know I am going to have leftover racks I cook them until they are almost done. When it comes time to reheat them I cook them on the grill. I think they taste better than the day i cooked them.

For whatever reason, I hate microwaved ribs the next day. something happens to them. the sauce is horrible microwaved.

I have smoked ribs till the near point of completion, vac packed and cooled as fast as possible and then reheated on a grill and sauce applied then with success.

Dean,

I usually have some left over ribs, but not intentionally so, and usually I give them to whatever guest or group I may have been smoking them for. I tell them to do the same thing I do when I have them: wrap them tightly in tin foil, put them on an oven safe pan, and warm them up in the oven at 250 or so. I do dry rub ribs, so I don't use any juice or sauce in the warm up. I also insist on the pan because one time not too many years ago when I warmed up some ribs without it the tin foil had a tear in it, some fat or juice ran out, and the smoke in the kitchen was incredible. Now, if it happens it's a quick fix taking out the pan. Enjoy the left overs.

I like the "cooking until almost done and then finishing on the grill" idea, but I will probably foil and warm in the oven at 250* this time. I've always wanted to try "flashing" or reheating at 450* but I'll wait until it's not with company. Thanks for the ideas; I appreciate the responses.

I just eat them cold, or let them warm up to room temperature. From reheating pulled pork in my microwave though, the microwave has a distinct smokey smell to it now...

I've heard of people vacuum sealing the ribs and then putting the sealed bag in boiling water. I have a FoodSaver sealer and have used that method before with things like stuffing leftovers from Thanksgiving and Stews and they have turned out excellent. Stays moist and no drying out. I never have used that method with ribs because we never have leftovers but I bet it would work.

Roger, that sounds like a great idea. I don't have a vacuum sealer yet but I'm hoping Santa is going to fix me up. I will remember this tip. Thanks.

For ribs next day, I generally reheat in the oven in foil with a bit of liquid around 300F. Ribs in general seem to have a short lifespan. I've only ever used them after the day after from frozen in a crock pot stew. Noting the boil in bag method above, that works great for brisket and butt, just simmer, don't boil, and use a quality bag. I've never tried that with ribs but expect it would work the same.

Back