Reheating Chicken Quarters

Mark Etheridge

TVWBB Super Fan
I will be cooking some chicken quarters over the weekend (either Sunday or Monday) for my peeps (about 15 people) at work. The feast will be on Tuesday and I need some recommendations on how to reheat the chicken. I tried doing a search under "Reheating Chicken" but came up blank.

Also, I've read where the leg/thigh joint should be cracked prior to cooking...what does that buy me?

Would Hi-Temp or Low-temp be better? I was planning on cooking the chicken to at least 180 degF. I am not going to sauce the chicken. I'll have a bottle of Big Bob Gibson's white sauce next to the chicken.

Thanks for the advice and have a great Veteran's Day!!

Mark, IMHO nuking them is out of the questions. I would chose a low reheat in an oven say about 150 untill the meat reaches a safe serving temp.

Mark, I would reheat in the oven, covered with foil. It also would not hurt to spay the chicken with maybe a little chicken broth/butter mixture before putting in the over. I would think 250-300 would get you there faster without drying the meat.

Mark, when you're asking about hi or low temp., are you asking in regards to what method should be used to cook the chicken or to reheat?

IMO, 180 might start drying out the chicken. You might want to aim closer to 170 degrees in the thigh.

Erik

Cracking the joint buys you better heat penetration there: more even cooking.

I don't see a reason to reheat slowly at low temp. I do agree that the target for reheatng is serving temp (~150 though with dark meat chicken there's leeway). A remote probe stuck in a thigh is handy.

Remember to cool the chicken fairly quickly after cooking, chill, then pack for storage after the chicken is cold.

I always re-heat my chicken thighs at 325 covered loosely with foil, then uncovered for the last 5 or 10 min till heated through. They always come out great. Never dry.

I'm not sure this will work for as many people as you have, but I've had excellent results in cooking the dark meat to 170-175° and the white meat to 160°, then cooling and refrigerating it.

To reheat, I toss the refrigerated smoked chicken parts with a little BBQ sauce (preferably reduced a little to thicken it) and put them on a Direct/Medium heat grill for about 2 minutes per side. So far, they have always been well heated all the way through, and the caramelized sauce (glaze, actually) adds a lot of flavor.

We (and anyone I've cooked it for) love the CRANBERRY BBQ SAUCE posted by Keri C.

Keri, where've you been? Long time no hear!

Rita

Thank you all. I now have a nice warm fuzzy about reheating these things.

Eric, in response to your question, I was talking about the cooking method and whether a hi-temp or a low-temp cook produces better results after reheating.

One other question, how do you cool the chicken quickly after it's done...stick it right in the fridge once you pull it off with no rest?

Back