Reheating brisket

I had to reheat a refrigerated, uncut brisket last weekend for an early afternoon tailgate party.

I put it on a cooling rack in a foil pan, poured 2 cups of hot beef broth in the bottom of the pan (not enough to touch the brisket). Covered with foil. Heated very slowly at 190 degrees for 2.5 hours.

Pulled the brisket out of the pan, wrapped in foil, then wrapped in beach towels warmed in the dryer and placed in a dry cooler and transported 35 miles for a college football game tailgate. Sliced on site at the tailgate about 90 minutes after taking it out of the oven. Still steamy and moist when I sliced it.

wow, another 2.5 hours of reheating.. that's some serious time.
icon_eek.gif

if it is just me i slice and microwave for a bit.

if i am reheating a lot for serving to guests i crank the oven up to 350 put some hot water in the bottom of a pan put the brisket slices on a rack and cover with foil and heat in the oven for 30-40 minutes.

another method is cut into slices place in foil with some hot water wrap it tight and reheat on the grill.

boiling bag works well too.

whatever the method be sure you dont over heat and start the cooking process back up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by simon j:
icon_eek.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is. It is not necessary to reheat most intact meats at low heat. If protected (e.g., by foil( one can use higher temps without concern, (I usually reheat at ~300?) The operative issue is not to overheat lest the meat start cooking again. Heating to serving temp (~150) is sufficient.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by simon j:
icon_eek.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is. It is not necessary to reheat most intact meats at low heat. If protected (e.g., by foil( one can use higher temps without concern, (I usually reheat at ~300?) The operative issue is not to overheat lest the meat start cooking again. Heating to serving temp (~150) is sufficient. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I could have put a probe into the meat and taken it out of the oven when it came up to serving temp. I've just had good success reheating slowly. Will try the faster method next time.
icon_smile.gif

If circumstance (or preference) dictate a slower reheat that is certainly fine. My point is that it is not necessary, as is often assumed for barbecue. Either way, the effort should be to finish the reheat at serving temp so the meat does not overcook.

icon_eek.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is. It is not necessary to reheat most intact meats at low heat. If protected (e.g., by foil( one can use higher temps without concern, (I usually reheat at ~300?) The operative issue is not to overheat lest the meat start cooking again. Heating to serving temp (~150) is sufficient.
Hi Kevin, Enjoyed all your informative posts and use them all the time. This is from an oldie-but-goodie thread. I cooked a packer on Sunday night into Monday, then after cool-down, wrapped it tight in heavy foil and refrigerated it. I'm planning to reheat it for a party on Friday night. The cooked weight is about 7-8 lbs and it's a bit on the thick side. Any guidance on how long it will take to reheat to 150° in a 300° oven?

Thanks, Jeff

Hi Kevin, Enjoyed all your informative posts and use them all the time. This is from an oldie-but-goodie thread. I cooked a packer on Sunday night into Monday, then after cool-down, wrapped it tight in heavy foil and refrigerated it. I'm planning to reheat it for a party on Friday night. The cooked weight is about 7-8 lbs and it's a bit on the thick side. Any guidance on how long it will take to reheat to 150° in a 300° oven?

Thanks, Jeff
Missed this. I assume I’m too late. How did it go?

Missed this. I assume I’m too late. How did it go?
Excellent, in fact. It took just around 2 hours at 350° to get it into the 150° average. The cooked weight of the brisket was a little under 7 lbs. It was in the fridge from Monday afternoon to Friday afternoon wrapped tight in two layers of HD foil. It was just as jiggly and juicy as when I took it off the smoker.

Harry&Rachel brisket by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

I purposely put the point end in the cooker to try and get some burnt end action going. It worked pretty well - guests were getting out their pen knives to hack off the bits with the blackest bark. I believe I'm going to make this my go-to method. It takes all the time pressure off of a "cook to target time" project. Thanks again for the info.
Jeff

Back