Reheating and Food Saver Question.

S Mitchell

TVWBB Pro
I have read that freezing pulled pork in Food Saver bags and boiling it to reheat is the way to go. We are going to cook a little over 200 pounds, so I will have to cook in batches and then reheat later. What bags work the best and is boiling the way to go?

I just did this with a 10 pound Pork Shoulder this past weekend. It worked great.... I can't fathom 200 lbs. I suppose it would be the same just split up in multiple bags. Put a galvanized tub on a turkey fryer burner... that would work.

You'd be looking at about 50 Gallon size Food Saver bags to get 200 LBS (Cooked) packaged. I usually can get about 4 LBS but don't try to stuff for maximum capacity. i.e. if you could get 5 LBS per bag that would be 40 bags saving 10 bags which cost about $0.40 each.....or about $20 in plastic bags for storage.

You might want to check out some catering options based on steam table trays to store the pork, but if you don't have that equipment it may be a larger $ investment.

If you don't have Food Saver bags you could go the ZipLock Freezer method. Use apple juice as the slight amount of liquid. Here is a link to a YouTube showing the technique that starts at the 40 second mark of the video:

David Baldwin Sous Vide Chicken

I forgot to mention... I use the food saver rolls and make bags as long as I want.

My foodsaver is about 6 years old and starting to die. I will upgrade to better model that can handle bags wider than 11" in the near future.

Back