Reheating a frozen turkey breast??

Chris Mason

TVWBB Fan
A couple of months ago I smoked several boneless, skinless turkey breasts. We ate one immediately and vaccuum-sealed and froze the rest of them.

We're in the mood for some turkey this week (not to mention a meal that won't cost us anything after the expensive Christmas season) and I want to break one out. But I am not sure what the best way to reheat it is.

If this was pulled pork, I'd just throw the bag still frozen right in to simmering water. But for a whole piece of meat (about 3 pounds) that doesn't seem like the way to go.

So...thoughts? Any suggestions are appreciated.

If you can wait a few days, let it thaw in the refrigerator, slice it, and reheat it on low power (level 2 or 3) in the microwave. If you can't wait, maybe in a very low (200* - 250*) oven.

Appreciate the comments so far. Bumping it to see if there are any other ideas.

Any thoughts on defrosting it and then cooking it in the oven at, say, 200 degrees?

Paul, as far as steaming goes...what would you use to do it? I think my rice-maker has a steam basket attachment so maybe that would work.

I just use a steam basket placed in a pot big enough to hold it. You could even just use a colander with a lid placed on top of it inside a pot. Anything with holes in it to let the steam pass.

Originally posted by Chris Mason:
A couple of months ago I smoked several boneless, skinless turkey breasts. We ate one immediately and vaccuum-sealed and froze the rest of them.
If this was pulled pork, I'd just throw the bag still frozen right in to simmering water. But for a whole piece of meat (about 3 pounds) that doesn't seem like the way to go.

So...thoughts? Any suggestions are appreciated.
You can, and I do reheat it right in the bag the same way as reheating PP. You'll need to leave it in the water longer than pulled pork, but it will not dry out on you sealed up in the vac bag. Let it thaw out in the fridge for 2 days. When you want to reheat it, let it sit out on the counter for 2 hrs. then drop it into a pot of boiling water. Put the lid on and turn off the burner. Let sit about 30- 40 min, cut open the bag, and enjoy. Meat can't dry out in the vac bags, (but remember, you can over cook the meat) that's the beauty of the vac sealer. HTH

Back