Rehabing a 2008 S-320. To much rust?

GJacknow

As a new Weber Genesis owner, I have been a lurker here before now. (actually I now own a 2014 Genesis E-310 and a 2018 Genesis II E-310, I have to sell one of them)

Saw this below free on craigslist and thought I would give fixing up a grill a try as a gift for someone. My guess it is a 2008 but I am not sure. (any way to tell for sure?)

Sure looked nice in the ad, but once you open the cabinet you see the issues.

Wondering if there is too much to be done on it.

Also the rust on the underside of the lid with the sections coming apart. Can I just strip out the second layer?

I am more looking for functional that pretty with this.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Greg

Attachments

• 20200603_203443000_iOS.jpg
    20200603_203443000_iOS.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200603_203529501_iOS.jpg
    20200603_203529501_iOS.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200603_203534505_iOS.jpg
    20200603_203534505_iOS.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200603_203609297_iOS.jpg
    20200603_203609297_iOS.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20200603_203655097_iOS.jpg
    20200603_203655097_iOS.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200603_203913175_iOS.jpg
    20200603_203913175_iOS.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200603_204105894_iOS.jpg
    20200603_204105894_iOS.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 53
Probably 2008 or 2009 but you won't know for sure since the stickers with the serial number is usually on the drip tray support which is clearly missing on that grill.
That being said, unless you want to spend a lot or do some serious custom work, that grill is not a very good rehab candidate. That is a parts grill at best. I would look for an older Silver B or Genesis 1000 if you want to rehab a good weber grill.

Ditto on everything Bruce said. I would say rusted beyond cost effective repair. I like those "sidewinders" but it is getting harder and harder to find a candidate not rusted beyond realistic restoration. All that bottom stuff should have been made out of stainless steel or at least aluminum.

So sad...it look purty from a distance. Appreciate the quick response.

Too bad it was not kept a bit dryer. Still works OK. Though the rust on the center burner is just starting to cause it to deteriorate.

The stainless steel grates might be salvageable. And a number of other parts.

Thoughts on the lid? Can the inner layer be removed?

Man, that one is in tough shape, it's too bad I really like this style of grill. Are the stainless ones porcelain coated inside? If so a square scraper style razor, degreaser and patience and it should clean up pretty good!

There was a used one just like that local to me posted yesterday but the person didn't respond to my email. Any chance you're in New Hampshire? I could use some parts for mine if you wanted to let it go!

So sad...it look purty from a distance. Appreciate the quick response.

Too bad it was not kept a bit dryer. Still works OK. Though the rust on the center burner is just starting to cause it to deteriorate.

The stainless steel grates might be salvageable. And a number of other parts.

Thoughts on the lid? Can the inner layer be removed?

Those hoods have a lifetime warranty so if the liner is rusted through Weber might replace it. A friend of mine had his replaced. Not sure how hard it is to remove it.

Hmm, interesting idea...though I can't imagine how the conversation will go since I don't know the SN of the grill. Though I suppose I can explain the whole inside rusted away and so I lost it. :)

Too bad this guy did not replace a bunch of parts 9 years in as they were starting to go.

Did you mean he had just the liner replaced...or the whole lid? (the lid is easy to remove)

They won't replace it unless you have a SN and the grill is registered on their site.
I know many have ripped out the liner. You will find the inside of the lid under that in really good shape and fairly clean. However, when you use the grill and get it real hot, the lid will discolor on the outside. No big deal really and from what I understand, it can be scrubbed off. Actually, the coloration is kind of cool.

Man, that one is in tough shape, it's too bad I really like this style of grill. Are the stainless ones porcelain coated inside? If so a square scraper style razor, degreaser and patience and it should clean up pretty good!

There was a used one just like that local to me posted yesterday but the person didn't respond to my email. Any chance you're in New Hampshire? I could use some parts for mine if you wanted to let it go!

It does not seem to be porcelain coated inside the lid. I will take a closer look.

I am the DC metro area (Northern VA). A bit of a ways from you.

I saw a similar one free posted yesterday with similar but not as bad problems. Didn't hear back either.

They won't replace it unless you have a SN and the grill is registered on their site.
I know many have ripped out the liner. You will find the inside of the lid under that in really good shape and fairly clean. However, when you use the grill and get it real hot, the lid will discolor on the outside. No big deal really and from what I understand, it can be scrubbed off. Actually, the coloration is kind of cool.

Yeah, that is what I thought. Oh well. too bad.

That is an interesting idea about taking out the lining. Discoloration seems like a lessor issue with the stainless steel cover.

Keep an eye out for another free grill like that. Try to piece together parts from 2 grills to make one whole one. The one you have has plenty of salvagable parts on there.

Take an angle grinder and cup brush to those flavor bars and grates....both should be made out of SS. The grates should fit on your 2014 Genny. Lid and doors might even fit on there if you like the SS look.

If you are trying to save this one to keep, then you could build a custom table for it and junk the rusty frame.

As a new Weber Genesis owner, I have been a lurker here before now. (actually I now own a 2014 Genesis E-310 and a 2018 Genesis II E-310, I have to sell one of them)

Saw this below free on craigslist and thought I would give fixing up a grill a try as a gift for someone. My guess it is a 2008 but I am not sure. (any way to tell for sure?)

Sure looked nice in the ad, but once you open the cabinet you see the issues.

Wondering if there is too much to be done on it.

Also the rust on the underside of the lid with the sections coming apart. Can I just strip out the second layer?

I am more looking for functional that pretty with this.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Greg

I have the same grill (except NG)--purchased new in 2008. It's lived outside its whole life and has the same issue with the floor rotting out. Last year there was more rot than floor, so I removed what was left of the rusty metal floor and put in pressure-treated boards. It's not pretty, but it did a great job of making it structurally sound. I did have the foresight to replace the burners when they started to rust and before they were out of warranty. It remains a fantastic cooker.

Wood floor can look good if done right. I just think the grill the OP showed us is a little too far gone. You at least need to have the main square tube frame in good shape and his appears too rusty.

Here is a thread that has details on my attempt to rehab a rusty 310. I actually paid $100 for mine too :sick::sick::sick:

It can be done, but since you got yours for FREE, then quit while you are ahead and STOP now! Find a grill in better shape to rehab and take all the useful parts off your freebie.

Wood floor can look good if done right. I just think the grill the OP showed us is a little too far gone. You at least need to have the main square tube frame in good shape and his appears too rusty.

Here is a thread that has details on my attempt to rehab a rusty 310. I actually paid $100 for mine too :sick::sick::sick:

It can be done, but since you got yours for FREE, then quit while you are ahead and STOP now! Find a grill in better shape to rehab and take all the useful parts off your freebie.

Thanks for the advice. I saw your restore. Awesome job...but definitely a time/$ sink.

Looking for something to surprise my brother-in-law with on the cheap. But have missed out on the really good deals in the last few weeks. (did get myself a Gen II for $275 with cover) Saw a blue one of these old 310s in decent shape for free but it was gone in under an hour. Missed out on a $80 one this morning by 5 min.

I liked some of you quick and dirty ideas like the JB weld. If I can remove all the rust and get it to where it won't keep falling apart then maybe it is worth messing with. Putting it on hold now. We will see if I can get lucky and find a better candidate in the next month.

With Fathers day next weekend, there should be some popping up that weekend or few days after wards.

That one looks like a write off since the rust is in both L+R frames and back panel. I'd look for another Genesis 2007-2010 and salvage parts from this one. Right side burner assembly with ss trim piece, corrugated gas line, manifold & regulator, tank scale, knobs, igniter, front doors, casters, burner tubes, drip tray, lid handle, lid pins, temp gauge, ss grates and the Weber emblem.

Back