Rehabbing dad's old redtop

Athena Schramer

Hi! Long time lurker! Slowly dipping my toes into cleaning up my dads old grill he gave me, I think it’s about 35 years old?

Anyway, I gave the inside a deep clean and stumped as to the best way to clean the back of the hood? It looks burnt on stuff or just dirt but it’s not budging too well and I don’t want to scratch up the paint. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4245.jpeg
    IMG_4245.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4244.jpeg
    IMG_4244.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4243.jpeg
    IMG_4243.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 15
Welcome Athena,

we love the red heads.

0000 steel wool and simple green is what I've been advised to use, though I've also used dawn dish soap with the 0000 steel wool. Just be patient and it will come clean.

edit: don't 'use blue or green scotch brite pads. They will scratch the porcelain.

Also, at the top of the forum is a sticky thread, and this thread is listed in it. It's worth a read.

Welcome Athena, what Dan said plus: I also use a razor blade scraper on the back of the lid for the real stubborn stuff. The steel wool and razor blade won't hurt the finish, it is porcelain over steel. You should also remove the lid from the grill first so you don't damage or break the hinges.

Hi! Long time lurker! Slowly dipping my toes into cleaning up my dads old grill he gave me, I think it’s about 35 years old?

Anyway, I gave the inside a deep clean and Ppl me stumped as to the best way to clean the back of the hood? It looks burnt on stuff or just dirt but it’s not budging too well and I don’t want to scratch up the paint. Any suggestions?

Welcome Athena,

we love the red heads.

0000 steel wool and simple green is what I've been advised to use, though I've also used dawn dish soap with the 0000 steel wool. Just be patient and it will come clean.

edit: don't 'use blue or green scotch brite pads. They will scratch the porcelain.

Also, at the top of the forum is a sticky thread, and this thread is listed in it. It's worth a read.

Good to know! I think I have some 0000 steel wool around so I’ll give that a shot! And check out the restoration guide too! Finally decided to try biting off little chunks with the project otherwise with two little ones I’d be lucky if I got to it sometime in the next decade!

I second using a razor blade to get the hard stuff off of porcelain areas only. Works great on inside and outside of Weber kettles with same porcelain finish. It should work well on the back of your Red lid.

I let water soak in first to help soften gunk. Razor doesn’t hurt the porcelain. Porcelain is harder than glass. I follow with the steel wool with soapy water. Sometimes I’ll finish off with Windex on outside surface for extra shine.

I use single edge razor blades and simple green. The simple green works like a lubricant (and also helps to dissolve the gunk). Hold the blade at an angle just like you are trying to remove a sticker from a window. Change out the blade when it gets dull.

Back